Rat Forum banner

Limping rat- please help

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Boxes_scree 
#1 ·
Moose was walking around his cage and I noticed that he was using his leg weirdly and wouldn’t put too much weight on it. I look him out and observed a little more and realized he was limping. I don’t know what could have caused this as there was no squeaks or yelping from him and I never heard him get hurt. It started happening after I took them out to clean their cage. Could it be hind leg degeneration? I don’t know exactly how old my boys are but I’m assuming they’re older than a year. Limping rat

#2 ·
Moose was walking around his cage and I noticed that he was using his leg weirdly and wouldn’t put too much weight on it. I look him out and observed a little more and realized he was limping. I don’t know what could have caused this as there was no squeaks or yelping from him and I never heard him get hurt. It started happening after I took them out to clean their cage. Could it be hind leg degeneration? I don’t know exactly how old my boys are but I’m assuming they’re older than a year. Limping rat
I’m going to try to take him to the vet ASAP but I’m not sure if we have the money, I’m so worried

#6 ·
Update: So Moose’s brother, Chocolate decided to Mufasa and Scar him (aka throw him off the couch) during free roam and Moose’s poor foot got stuck on the edge. He looked like he was getting better today but after that it looks a lot worse. He’s not putting any pressure on it or anything. I’m worried about him hurting it any further than it’s already been hurt. I have a little tank cage set up from when I had it as a very temporary cage for Cheesecake before I introduced him to the boys, I’m thinking of putting him in that as a hospital cage for a couple days with extra free roam time with the other boys so he doesn’t get too lonely. Does that sound like a good idea? I’m just really worried about it not healing well or getting worse

#7 ·
Is his foot very swollen or bruised?I am sorry he had this set back.Maybe a couple of days rest would do him good as long as he has daily contact with you and the others. .Don’t worry,he will heal up completely I am sure.He is lucky to have such a caring human ratslave to watch out for him😉💕🐭

#8 ·
It’s actually not that swollen, but he has it all balled up so it’s hard to tell. I decided to keep him in the big cage and see how he does for a bit since he’s really attached to the other boys. Right now he’s getting very needed rest and I think he’ll be just fine as long as his brother doesn’t push him again lol! 💕

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.