Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two rats, im not sure which one it is, im assuming the older one because the little one it just a baby, but one of them has been having very liquidy poops and diarrhea it seems. i feed them oxbow rat food, oxbow treats, freeze dried fruit and dried vegetables, and sunflower seeds. is any of this bad for them? i cant think of anything else that would cause it.

·
Registered
Harald Fairhair & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Karma
216 Posts
Maybe it is because you keep feeding the same stuff. Maybe try different snacks. How old is the older one? It could be a health problem, but if they are otherwise fine it could be nothing. It could also be a bacteria in which case you should see a vet for some meds for them. What kinds of fruit and vegetables too? I try to always mix up whatever i feed them so it gives them as much good stuff as possible. THe stuff you feed them doesn't sound bad, but you still want to mix it up. Its like with humans if you kept eating nothing but tacos every day you'll get tired of it and probably get diarrha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i give fhem stuff like dried corn, cranberries, and mango. and some celery. was thinking about making them some egg whites, especially for the baby. also the older one is very old, a senior rat. not sure how old exactly but he was my friends rat before mine. i think she has had him for maybe a few years.

·
Registered
216 Posts
dried corn is not good for them. Do not feed dry corn ever. That is probably what is giving them the squirts. Only like popcorn or some kind of cooked corn is good for them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
oh! i thought it was good for them i was told it was, it came in a mix of food for them,, ill take that out right away, thank you!
It is for hamsters, no dried corn and like alfalfa are terrible for rats. I like never get those mixes because they are messy and a lot of the pellets they don't eat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts