Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tomorrow I am going shopping to a normal huge food/poundstore/random store shopping centre and also to [email protected]

I want to get them some treats/basic every day foods to change it up a little (every night they get a salad of sorts with different veggies etc) but I tend to pick them up randomly every day when I pop our local shop so I've never really done one big sweep. I want to cut it all up and freeze in portions so what veggies can I and can't I freeze? What nuts can I buy them? Any other goodies your rats like?

I'm just going to print this thread off when all is done and said and walk around the shops tomorrow like "Ooo my rats need ______" as people stare strangely at me haha!!

Any input is appreciated :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
My ratties go daft for pumpkin seeds. Occasional treat though as I think they are high in protein? Pound land was selling pumpkin seeds randomly...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Oh at pets at home they have these vegetable chews shaped like crocodiles at the tills, think they are for dogs but my boys enjoy chewing on them :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Poundland by me has a whole isle dedicated to seeds/nuts/crackers haha. Plus theres a Holland & Barretts up there so I'm sure I'll be raiding those shelves too haha!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Try and get ready frozen veg if you can for as much as possible of your rat salad mix, it's frozen in a way that keeps more of its nutrients than stuff we can freeze. hens and kale are brill to add too. i try and make up a few different tasting mixes when i do it so use carrots and peas alongside the staple Green leafy stuff in half and stirfry mix in the other half and so on. If you want glossy coats you can also add a small amount of chopped fresh coconut to each daily portion. They eat it from frozen fine.

In terms of nuts always go for them in there shells if possible, then it's a challenge and a treat all in one

from pets at home look out for herb plus mix, it's my fave herb and veg mix for rats, i use it a lot in my home made mix but it would make a good scatter treat mix too. Also check out applaws wet cat food, it's excellent quality and great as a protien boosting meal. Naturesmenu and natures diet are great natural wet dog food which makes for good occasional meal replacements. They also do fish jerky under the treat section which is a high protien treat that rats go mad for. If your making your own mix they also do a nice Salmon and potato natural dog kibble from fishmongers which isn't too high in protien and had nice ingredients too. a bag of millet sprays would also be a great occasional treat abd a couple roast bones and or some cuttle fish make a good calcium top up every couple of weeks

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Thank you. i am quite sad and enjoy wandering around pet food places (though my best friend does too so at least I'm not alone lol). If either of you move to Preston Ley me know I've found an amazing pet food shop with some really lovely quality stuff.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh thats not sad. I spend my weekends going pet shop to pet shop looking for things for the rats, cats and my family dogs! They easily get most of my paycheck haha! Ooooo, Preston is on our list of places to go as I have family up there. Will have to get the name before we go! :-D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thank you. i am quite sad and enjoy wandering around pet food places (though my best friend does too so at least I'm not alone lol). If either of you move to Preston Ley me know I've found an amazing pet food shop with some really lovely quality stuff.
It's not sad!! I love getting pet stuffs. Out of curiosity, do you try and eat well too? Animals always help keep us eating well, so I can make dinners with minor alterations will work with the rats, chickens and dogs lol.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i didn't used to bit do now and it's done me wonders. i upped my veg and reduced my carbs and sugar lots a year or so ago and lost 2.5 stones and felt so much better for it. The rats still East bettet than me but I'm catching up a bit.

You should time your preston visit for when we have a rat show on. You could pop in and say hi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts