Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the cage set up for my two future boys, but the litter box takes up a LOT of room. It's a large superpet and came with the cage. http://i.imgur.com/phMXgM4.jpg That's the only picture I have of the cage right now, and can't get any more until I get home tomorrow. Should I get a smaller litter box, or is the size okay?

I'm not quite sure how to make the most of the room I have. I'm wanting to get more toys for them, and make more little wood levels but I'm not sure what toys would be good. I have two hammocks that I have yet to put up, one takes up pretty much the entire top space. They have a Wobust Wodent Wheel that takes up a ton of space, maybe hanging it upside down from the top of the cage would help make more room?

These will be my first rats ever and I just want to make sure they have everything they could possibly want or need, plus more.

·
Registered
601 Posts
When I first started setting up cages I couldn't figure out how people got SO MUCH STUFF into them. Then I realized, it's perfectly okay if some things are really close together and overlap. I love (and my rats do, too) those rope bird perches. They usually have a wire on the inside which allows you to bend them any way you want - so you can attach them higher up on one side and make a kind of ramp. I also have really large ones that span from one side of the cage to the other, so it's basically like another level for them to walk around on without taking up too much space.

You can also completely remove the smaller shelves if you want to, which is what I do. I take those out and add lots of hammocks, baskets (zip tied through the bars), and perches. If you don't want to remove the shelves, you could just take the ramps out. Rats are good climbers and don't usually need them (unless they're older and have trouble getting around of course) which gives more space for hides and things like that. :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
A lot of rats will sleep/store food and go potty in the box-so really it doesnt matter how big it is-it's just a multi purpose room in the cage. :) You can however get the size down from the one you have and they work great as well. You can use anything that has a lip actually. I would actually suggest to put another box at the higher level as w ell with boys. At least all the boys I've had have been way to lazy to actually go down several ramps/ropes or what not to go potty.

If the rats you are getting are young you also take out the ramps for more space., as Jessi said take out one or both smaller shelves, or just move them to better fit the stuff you want to give your rats.

I like to check out the cage threads that are stickied and look to see what cool stuff other rat owners do to their cage for inspiration as well. Google search under images as well.

You also don't need to put everything they have in the cage. It's nice to be able to change it up when do clean ups so the rats get new stuff to play on/with.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I basically rotate the toys and cage accessories I use every clean up to give them some variety and also because I have way too many rat things. Having a large enough litter box is definitely a positive since rats love their litter boxes! To them, it is just another space to use. Many people use kitty litter trays as an alternative and those are pretty large. Also, since most rats often use their potties two or three at a time, it is better to have more space than less in this department.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts