Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is Thor, sound asleep on his new litter box.

I have spent a lot of time this week on litter training, and I was happy to see that when I introduced a litter box to the second poop locale in their huge cage, complete with previously-peed-on flat rock, that they actually used it.

Unfortunately, they didn't just use it for pooping.

Cage Rat Animal shelter Muridae Rodent

I tried to gently move him to a hammock. He was back down there ten minutes later, zonked out.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Today we kept catching Rory doing that same thing, even sleeping with his head tucked under him. That's not the first time I've had a rat go through a phase of wanting to sleep in the litter box. In my experience it tends to be hard to discourage them from sleeping where they want to sleep, but they tend to cycle around sleep locations and move on to another location eventually. If he keeps sleeping in the litter box, you may want to consider moving the litter box.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bah, then he'd just pee there anyhow. Heh! I came home today to find half the litter outside the box--though the poop was still inside. Clearly our little Thor doesn't get the idea. They actually have two litter boxes, because I noticed that they were only going in the big one at the bottom of the cage when they happened to be in the lower half of the cage. Since some of them sleep a couple floors higher, they were doing their doody right at the foot of that ramp.

I can't blame them, really. It's a long climb down just to have a piddle.

·
Registered
870 Posts
All I can offer is that a different less comfy litter like Yesterday's News might discourage relaxing in the litter box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts