Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys have any tips for teaching my rat to leave her litter box alone unless she's trying to use it? My rat keeps pushing the litter and her turds outside of the litterbox, putting her toys into the litterbox, bedding is being shoved into it. It's been 3 days and she won't just leave it alone. I've said nothing but "stop" "leave that alone" "git" and "quit it" this whole time. I am genuinely getting mad about it. Though, don't worry, I refuse to take it out on her, but I think she can sense it regardless. Please help, she's my first and I'm getting frustrated. But please, don't try to come at me with "rehome her" and all that. Not only would that break my heart, but I refuse to just give up on her. That's not fair to her.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You don't need to rehome her but you should accept the fact that although rats are extremely smart and sensitive animals, she is just doing normal rat behaviors and may not understand what your trying to tell her. I think telling her to leave her litter box alone can give her the wrong idea and she would stop using it for her business as well. Instead you can try getting a higher box so that she can't push things out of it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It's your rats' cage and it's their litter box. They're going to do whatever they want with it because it belongs to them. You can't control everything they do. Stop telling her to "stop" or "leave it alone" or "quit it." It's her cage. You can be happy to just let her be happy and enjoy her cage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you guys have any tips for teaching my rat to leave her litter box alone unless she's trying to use it? My rat keeps pushing the litter and her turds outside of the litterbox, putting her toys into the litterbox, bedding is being shoved into it. It's been 3 days and she won't just leave it alone. I've said nothing but "stop" "leave that alone" "git" and "quit it" this whole time. I am genuinely getting mad about it. Though, don't worry, I refuse to take it out on her, but I think she can sense it regardless. Please help, she's my first and I'm getting frustrated. But please, don't try to come at me with "rehome her" and all that. Not only would that break my heart, but I refuse to just give up on her. That's not fair to her.
So litter training a rat is a bit different than say, a cat. Cats go and walk away. They typically don't "play" with their litter.
I've litter trained my rats, but the goal is to minimize the mess throughout the cage. So start thinking of it less as "littler training" an more as "mess containment".
That being said - the "playing with it" may just be a symptom of "Look! Something new!" (You mentioned it's only been 3 days). I would use a tissue or scoop to place the kicked out turds back into the litter box ... at least for now.
I think as long as you know she's not just doing it out of boredom and you can retrain your brain on how you "see" the litter box ... it should be fine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
3 days is not enough time. I just put any stray feces in the litter box and wipe up any urine and then wipe that on the pee rock. They will get the hint but may never stop having accidents. Right now I have 3 in one cage and 3 in another. The older 3 are using the litterbox and having little to no accidents outside of it. It took me about a month to get that far. The younger ones are dividing potty time between the litterbox and the cage and they have been at it for a month, as well. It takes time and patience and also acceptance if they never gel with litterboxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts