Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner, love having rats so far! I have two youngish boys, I am not sure of their age as they were a pet shop purchase (no breeders anywhere around here..). For the first couple of weeks I just had bedding throughout the lower level of the cage and that was where they did most of their business. The shelves were usually clean other than the occasional poop. I switched this past week to litter box training, I have a large box with two pee rocks and the rest of the cage is fleece. Well.....poop and pee EVERYWHERE now. Even in the food dish. This gonna get better? I spot clean several times a day...

Thanks in advance! I am really glad I found this board...I have been reading since well before I got my boys :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you are not already, be sure to move all stray poops into the litter tray. Always leave a little dirty litter in there too when you are doing a litter change, though once they are properly trained you don't need to do this. I also found with my boys, they would wake up and just do their business on the nearest surface available as they were too lazy to trundle all the way to the bottom of the cage where the litter tray was. Adding a second litter tray close to their favourite sleeping spot helped a lot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, moving all poops into the box and "seasoning" the box when I change it. I don't have room on the shelves for an additional box, unfortunately. I was just surprised when they started pooping in their food... Twix poops pretty consistently in his flying saucer, but I think that is just "I'm running and not gonna stop!!!"

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What are you using as substrate inside the litter box? How often do you change out the litter? If you are consistent enough, it should get better eventually but it may not be 100%. Ideally, the litter box should go in the corner they poop in the most and you should be moving stray poops in the box to show them where they need to go. My boys are the most accurate when I lay down fresh cage liners and seem to falter in their potty habits closer to cage cleaning day. I suspect this is because their potty scent isn't contained to one place anymore (as the liners get progressively dirty) so they feel they can just go anywhere.

·
Registered
955 Posts
They do tend to poop a lot when they are younger. Some folks put a litter tray in every corner during training and then remove them one by one as the rats start to become properly trained. I've got one zip tied between levels in my cage so it takes up less space. Perhaps a smaller plastic container or something could do as a temporary training tray. You might find changing the liners more often during the next few weeks might help them get the picture quicker :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
My girls start pooping everywhere once they decide their litter box is too dirty too continue using it. It can occur between a day to 4 days after a litter change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using a natural shredded paper litter in the box currently and a baby changing pad covered with fleece in the rest of the cage. I will try changing both more frequently. The brat rats decided that their favorite place to poop was right at the bottom of the ramp where I can't place a litter box. Today seems to be slightly better...I will just keep on it. I am wondering if sometimes litter training just doesn't work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts