Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my rats are half litter box trained... I was pretty sure they got the picture, but while they continue to poop in the litter box they also poop (a lot) in the other corner of the cage. I know that sometimes rats just pick a corner themselves so I tried moving the box over there, but they still pooped it both corners. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to clean the box more often? Are they just stubborn? Do they not get it? Suggestions? (By the way I have had them for 4-5 months)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Move the poops that are not where they're supposed to be into the litter box. Or you could just have 2 litter boxes I guess

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mine are lazy. I've seen them go in the litter box when they're down stairs where it is, but when they're up stairs they just poop all over the place. I was thinking about getting a second litter box to put up stairs to see if they'll use it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I've got four girls that are 4 months old and two litter boxes in my DCN, one upstairs and one on the middle level. I think that most of them are litter box trained because the boxes fill up with poop and pee really fast and I have to clean them out every other day. The upstairs box gets the most use. The box on the lower level barely gets used at all and I can go a week between cleanings.

The problem is, somebody (can't figure out who) is still not pooping in the litter boxes. There will be piles of poop in every corner EXCEPT for where the litter boxes are! I'm at my wits end here trying to get them all trained. I'm literally thinking of buying a litter box for every corner in the cage! I'll put the piles of poop I find in the litter boxes but it hasn't done any good. I've also tried moving the box they don't use that often to whichever corner seems to be getting the most poop action. Whoever is doing it will simply move to another corner. Argh!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have three (yes, three) litter boxes in my DCN. One on each main level, and another on the very top shelf. The most commonly used is the middle one, while the top one seems to have become a digging box/stash place for food. I still get pee outside of the boxes (mostly from Bigby--sigh) but I haven't gotten pee rocks yet, so maybe that'll help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added a second makeshift litter box in the corner they liked the best, but I don't think they have used it yet, and are now pooping more on the second level. (I have a single CN) I do try to pick up the poops and put them in the boxes but I don't think its really helping...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts