Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do people use as the litter for litter box training? I know it has to be different from the main bedding but is there a type that works well to absorb liquids and odors? I use Carefresh bedding and know the brand has a pelleted litter. Oxbow has a pelleted litter which is made of wheat grass. Is that safe for rats? I know hay (timothy, oat, whatever rabbits eat) isn't good for rats but is wheat grass different? Shadow The Rat recommends Fresh News, the alternative to the discontinued Yesterday's News pelleted cat litter. Pros / cons on using the Fresh News litter for cats vs the one for small animals?

Could old cut up towels work and then just washed?

· Registered
112 Posts
What do people use as the litter for litter box training? I know it has to be different from the main bedding but is there a type that works well to absorb liquids and odors? I use Carefresh bedding and know the brand has a pelleted litter. Oxbow has a pelleted litter which is made of wheat grass. Is that safe for rats? I know hay (timothy, oat, whatever rabbits eat) isn't good for rats but is wheat grass different? Shadow The Rat recommends Fresh News, the alternative to the discontinued Yesterday's News pelleted cat litter. Pros / cons on using the Fresh News litter for cats vs the one for small animals?

Good ol' Critter Litter works great for litter box training. I use it regularly and the rats tend to take to it very well.

I think your other ideas are fine though, try them out and see what works for you. :)

· Registered
Twig and Sprig 💕
357 Posts

Yesterdays news is a good one. Any PELLETED dust free cat or small animal litter works just as well! 💛

· Registered
40 Posts
I use paper pellets when I'm using hemp as the main substrate, then hemp in the litter tray when I'm using pellets as main substrate. My rats don't use their tray though preferring to poo in the food bowl and are lazy and just pee on the shelves lol

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just added the Oxbow litter to my Chewy order. We'll see if the rat likes it or not 😝 Instead of one of those corner critter litter box, I found a set of two of something similar at Target for just $5. The bins are big enough for my rat to use.

· Registered
PEW, hooded, & berkshire feeders
67 Posts
I have also just started using Fresh News. I'm not an expert but from research, paper pellet litter seems to be the kind most recommended. I found this guide helpful:

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My rat is eating the Oxbow wheat litter pellets 😬 It's supposed to be safe if ingested but is there any way to discourage her from eating it other than try a different litter?

I put some poop in the litter box but I don't think my rat has figured out what to do yet. Oddly, I didn't find any poop in her nest box. I had to go through her dig boxes and found a few pieces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts