Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When getting a whole new rat setup (and new rat), do you start with the litter training immediately, or wait until s/he has established habits & home?

I do not have a rat yet...but have read a lot of great stuff about keeping the cage clean, litter training, etc. :) I was previously don't that litter training of rats wasn't possible, so it's quite encouraging.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
May as well try! The second Jack and Puck moved into my home they've been getting litter box trained and after a few weeks they settled into it well enough for my tastes. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
This might not apply but when I switched my boys to a different cage with litter boxes they pretty much trained themselves, I only had to move poos for a little while.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I start right away. It might actually help to do it right away, so they get the idea sooner that "this place is for pooping". With three of my girls, I had them on fabric but I was very lax with the litter training, so they didn't really get the idea. They took longer to train later, because they were used to going anywhere. I've only had my boys for a week, and they're already mostly litter trained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts