Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girls are 100% litter trained for their #2's, but I was wondering if anyone had any nifty tips or tricks that might work to convince them to use the litter box for their #1's, too?
Usually they jump out of their hammock on the top floor and pee right under it (problem is that they miss, so there are pee trickles down the wall, thank you Scrubbing Bubbles for being a life saver at getting it out of the paint...)
It's not too big of a deal if they can't get the hang of it, but I'd like to try what I can for sanitary reasons. When they pee on the fleece, they pee on the edge, so the pee just beads up and slides down the edge and onto their foot, which bothers me enough that I baby wipe their feet every day to make sure they don't wind up with the bumbles.
I have a critter nation, so aspen shavings aren't really an option unless I want to vacuum several times every day.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Its near impossible to get them to use a litterbox 100% for pee but you can try a pee rock, it's basically just a flat smooth rock that for some reason rats like to pee on and you can either place it in their litter box, near it, or at their favourite pee spot. I have one but they use it about 50% of the time, its better than nothing though. Also if your rats aren't fleece destroyers you can put something absorbent underneath like newspaper or a towel, it won't stop them from peeing on the fleece but it will draw away the moisture from the fleece keeping it dry so they aren't walking in their own urine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts