Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are probably tired of answering this line of questions, but I need to ask them anyway. I used the search, but feel I'll get better answers by asking myself.

First, when is a good time to attempt litter training? We've had our girls for two weeks and spend a lot of time with them, so they have already come to love us. They would much rather be on our shoulders than in their cage and both of them love to curl up and nap in our laps, bruxing like there's no tomorrow.

They poo all over the bottom of the cage, but do seem to concentrate most of it in one general corner area, so that is where I plan to put the litter pan (one of those triangular ones for ferrets). How large should it be? Large enough for the entire rat to climb into?

For litter I plan to use just a little bit of our cat's litter to keep the smell down and make cleaning the pan easier. Does this sound right? Is there a recommended litter I should use?

The "training" is simply a matter of picking up their poo and placing it in the litter pan until they get the idea... right? Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I would line the cage with fleece and then put litter in the pan, that way they know the differnce. But yeah, you'll have to pick up poop and put it in the pan a lot in the beginning. If they have a difficult time with it, I'd recommend having more than one litter box... you can always take it out!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I do have it lined with fleece already. So, it looks like I just get to experience the fun of poop relocation for a while. Heh.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts