Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want/need to try to litter train two of my males (Apollo and Benny). Their cage mates and unlike my other rats they poop and pee literally EVERYWHERE in their cage. They never do on me or when they are out of the cage, but in there they dont just go on their bedding in the bottom-oh no- they go on ever level and then accidentally knock their poop out onto whatever is nearby. I've done some reading on litter training but Im still not so sure how to start especially since they are both already a year old. I dont know why they cant be cleaner like my other boys.... :/ Any advice?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'd get a grated litter box and start putting the poop in that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It can take many weeks and you have to move all the poops to a litter box multiple times a day. My boys were litter trained quite fast when they were babies, but when they became older, they kinda just forgot it and I had to start from the beginning. And litter box location really matters, try to put it somewhere they like to poop the most and/or use 2-3 litter boxes (depending how big your cage is). Time, patience and re-locating litter boxes and getting one really big box (I've got one regular downstairs becayse they don't poop there that much, and I put the big one upstairs where most of the poops were) really helped with my boys.

Rats tend to pee everywhere even when they are litter trained.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a dcn with FOUR litter boxes to cover everywhere my mischief likes to go. And for the most part, they do use them.

But when I change up the cage layout...I have to move the litter boxes around to accommodate THEM. They go where they want, and I just move the box to that spot and put the poops in it.

They also love to lay in the litter boxes, blah.

And even then, I find a stay poop or two from someone who couldn't be bothered to do more than stick their rump out of the hut and go right outside it before going back to sleep.

>.<

Edited to add:

Putting litter boxes at the bottom of ladders always seemed to work for me, that was a favorite spot of most of my rats, so maybe it's instinct?

Putting a pee rock, like a flat rock they can stand on to pee helps too. I discovered when I was putting the rocks around their cage as a new owner (To wear their nails down) that they would always pee on them. So I moved the pee rocks to the litter boxes, and lo and behold...a stinky little hint! It worked well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts