Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I downsized to just three rats I figured I'd try to litter train my three boys, but it's not going as well as I'd hoped. I haven't been doing it for very long, only a few weeks, but they just poop so much, it's a hassle picking up all their poop every day. At least twice a day either my boyfriend or I will go in and pick up every little piece of poop, but if we're going to have to spend 5-10 minutes every time we open the cage doors just picking up poop then I'd rather just clean the cage more often.

Rex, the oldest, seems to get it the most. He's almost 2 years now, but he rarely poops anywhere other than one of the corners, they have a DFN. I put the litterbox where he seems to poop the most but he just poops outside it. He still wants to poop in that corner, but he doesn't get it in the box :/
The babies don't get it at all, they just poop everywhere. They'll be 8 weeks this Friday. Today at dinner time I even caught Peco storing food in the litterbox. They do a lot of their pooping in their favorite sleeping spot, so I end up having to tear apart Rex's intricately designed nest to find all their poops. He's practically a female rat, he loves nesting more than any rat I've ever had, and I can't imagine he appreciates me pulling apart his huge fleece nests every day.

I'm just not sure what to do about it. I'm considering getting a decent hand-vacuum and just vacuuming up all the extra poops every day. If they get it in the box then yay, but if not it'll just be vacuumed up.

Is there any way I can more easily convince them that poop goes in the box besides just moving their poops to the box, or is it going to be an uphill battle?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts