Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about litter training. I am switching to fleece soon, so am planning to try and litter train my 3 boys, but I'm not very optimistic about one of them!
They are all 4 months old, and the bigger two I don't really foresee a problem with. They already go only on the bottom floor of the cage, in which I'm currently using back 2 nature bedding, and i'm finding it's really good odor control. However, Lucifer refuses to go anywhere near the bottom of the cage. As of day one he has stuck to the shelves. The problem is that the shelves are plastic, and I can't put the bedding on them. I tried this, but it was just pushed off in seconds as there's no 'rim' round the shelves if that makes sense. Lucifer sleeps on one of the shelves, and he's just been going to the toilet basically in his bed, meaning it stinks all the time.
I thought I was being really clever today. I bought a litter pan, filled it with back 2 nature and put it on the shelf with his bed on top. Problem solved for now? No. He's busy tipping all of the litter out of the pan as we speak :eek: I'm out of ideas to get him to clean up his act lol! Any ideas?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I had the exact same problem - rats were too lazy to go all the way to the bottom to use the tray. The plastic shelves in my cage also seemed to be attractive marking spots for my boys.
There are a couple of things you might try that worked for me. What I did was cut fleece to the size of my shelves and used binder clips to secure. Then I got a corner pan for the shelf closest to the rats favourite sleeping spot. I added a nice round river rock to both pans.
Definitely try this if you haven't already, it works wonders. Rats love to pee on rocks! Something palm sized, round and smooth. I picked mine up from the beach and boiled them to disinfect. They also help weigh down the litter trays.
Lastly, my boys weren't able to tip over their trays, but they did keep squeezing in behind them and going to the toilet, leaving a mess. I got zip ties and secured two binder clips to the bars of the cage, and I clip them onto the litter tray to stop it moving.

Hope some of this helps :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts