Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four weeks ago we aquired two Albino rats. They came from a university lab. A university student took them home, then found out that his room mate was alergic to them. So we took them. They came in a small cage with shavings.
Two weeks ago I bought a Ferret Nation cage for them, the two level one. Right now they are only in the bottom level of the cage. I put in a litter box. They use it faithfully to poop in, but pee on the towels.
They are 8 months old. I knew that there was a possibility that they would not use the litter box. But if i had to pick one thing for them to do int the litter box, I would rather have them pee in the litter box and poop on the towel!

Any one have any ideas who to get them to pee in the litter box?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
ha, not really. it's usually the other way around, i thought. so in some twisted way, you're kind of lucky in that regard. :D do they piddle all over the towels, or just in one place? if it's all over, i think that's a boy thing, and you might want to neuter them (someone with boys can help, ha). if it's in one corner, maybe try a different shape litter pan? picasso pees diligently in her high-back corner pan, but she tips it over too, so i tried those small flat tuppers too.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Fauna. :)

The only idea I have is to watch them carefully to see where they pee most often and move the litter box to that place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention they were girls. Peneolope & Molly.
They seem to pee in every corner. I tried moving the litter box, but that did not help. It is ok I can deal with it, just have to change the bedding more often. I ordered soem bedding sets from Chesley, looking forward to receving them soon. They have chewed the towels up really good, even figured out how to undo the binder clips!! They are really good girls. I know they can squeze through the bars on the Ferret Nation cage, but they don't. The only reason I know they can is because I had Molly on my lap sitting in front of the cage, and she jumped back in though the bars. She is the timid one, Penelope is calmer. They are contained in a closed computer room so if they do get out, they will be save form our three cats.

Great forum by the way, lots of info!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts