Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one go about litter training?

The amount of bedding I go through with 3 rats is rediculous (3 seperate cages, silly rats not getting along) and I'm thinking that I would not need nearly as much if I didn't have to cover the whole bottom of the cages. I'm sure with 2 of them that are older that it may be too late to train, but maybe for our young one?

How do I do it?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Get a box, bigger is better, and fill it with their litter. You can use towels or somesuch on the floor of the cage if you like. Move their poos into the box every day. Eventually they'll get the idea. My four oldest took to it immediately, when I got Jack and Puck they took a couple weeks, but they figured it out as well.

All in all they're about 90% trained or more. Even if I don't have litter in the box yet they'll climb in it to use it. :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My rats aren't as quick as Forensic's :roll: I've been working on it for weeks, and the babies are picking it up pretty well, but my adult girls prefer hanging out in the litter box and pushing all the litter out to actually using it. So if you do try litter training, make sure you use something like Yesterday's News and not Carefresh (which is really light so they just push it right over the edge).

I'm not sure if it's ever too late to litter train though - you can at least try! And even if they don't really catch on to it, you'll still be using less litter, and it'll be easier to clean since you'll have to spot-clean a lot, and most of the poo will already be gone ^_^

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Mana, would it maybe help to use a deeper box for them? The box I use is fairly deep, even once there's litter in it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I tried a deeper one at first, with a couple bricks around it for them to use as steps, but they never even went into that one. I'm pretty sure it's just Jellybean who pushes the litter out - she's always enjoyed being difficult :roll:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm trying to train Ollie.I tried before but it didn't work...he was really young when I got him(petstore rat,he wasn't too young though)he didn't catch on...but I think he gets the idea this time,good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts