Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since the new little boy is so young im pondering the thought of litter training him....How would I go about this?...Once he's in with the other boys will they break his litter habit by just going/marking where they please...?and is it even possible since he shows no sign of wanting to do his business in one certain spot?.... besides in my hand.....

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You can try teaching them all. I don't think rats are ever too old to learn, if they'll learn at all. My girls are all mostly litter trained, and the oldest was around 7 months before I really tried.

Basically, all you do is get a box, put in litter (something distinctly different from their bedding - most people use fabric on the floors of the cage, because it makes litter training/cleaning much easier - Yesterday's News is the best litter to use), and start moving poos into the litter box. If they don't have a typical spot to go in, just put the box anywhere. My rats didn't have usual spots until I put in litter boxes, and then they created new spots, so I moved the boxes there. There really isn't a good way to train them to pee in there that I know of, but if you diligently spot-clean the cage of poop, and make sure there's always some in the litter box, eventually they should pick it up that that's where poop goes.

Also, they'll mark everywhere/anywhere. That's something different (to them) than doing their business ^^

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i cant train mine, i want to use fabric bedding but i cant till they are trained *sigh* ive heard of putting poop in the litter box and wet litter so it smells like a litter area, and keep the rest of the house clean and bathroom-ness free! good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've decided that Dax (my PEW girl) is just obstinate. She will hop into the litter pan, groom, then hop out and pee RIGHT NEXT TO IT! :) The boys do the same. Or they sit IN it and pee over the side! :) Sheesh. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
rat_ratscal said:
i cant train mine, i want to use fabric bedding but i cant till they are trained *sigh* ive heard of putting poop in the litter box and wet litter so it smells like a litter area, and keep the rest of the house clean and bathroom-ness free! good luck!
I actually found what worked best to train them was to switch to fabric. They immediately identified their litter as 'hey... this is where...'. Course, they're real good at 'forgetting'...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Maybe I'll make the attempt at this again now that I have two new girls. My other rat is over a year old though, so I don't know if she'll take to it as well.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yeah, I didn't litter train mine until after switching to fabric. Before using fabric, there's not really anything that's different enough so they really understand where to go. You have to clean more frequently at first, but it'll make cleaning easier in the long run.

I think any rat can be at least partially litter trained, no matter how old. Even if they only use the box sometimes and still go elsewhere sometimes, it's still a big help when it comes to cleaning cages. Some or all of mine occasionally choose not to go in the boxes, but I can't even imagine how awful the cage would get with 6 rats pooping anywhere and everywhere x_x;

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree with Mana.

Ewww, too much poop!

·
Registered
549 Posts
When I switched cages to the FN with fabric they older boys pretty much trained themselves, occasionally ill pick up a poo from right next the the litter box. The little boys think their litter box is a toy bin/bedroom... were working on that

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry to gravedig this but I didn't want to make a new topic about the same questions asked, anyway, I have a question, when you do switch cages, should you use the original bedding they pooped in as litter? Or just newspaper?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I used carefresh at first, thats what I had in the old cage, and it was all I had. It got moved around and made a mess so Ive recently switched to Yesterdays News which I like much better, its heavier so it stays in the litter box and when it does get kicked (or carried) out its easier clean up

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I had used Yesterday's news (which is a cat litter) as the bedding for my first four before I switched, but I switched Puck and Jack straight to YN in the box from being on Carefresh.

·
Registered
353 Posts
well, wolfy isnt litter trained, but he is cage trained....he tries his hardest to hold it while he's out of his cage...its all about listening to him when he says that he really needs to go.....like when he starts running around like mad doing his "i gotta pee/poo dance"......he pooped in my hand once.....neatly IN my hand...i carried him to his cage and told him that he was a very good boy for holding it so long and then pooping neatly in my hand.

·
Registered
151 Posts
about the fleece, Is there any other fabric that works just as well? because i've been using old T-shirts. and they seem to like it. or atleast it smells that way =P. I can't wait to litter train but I have to make sure i have time. because during the school year i can only see my babies from friday until sunday. and my mom keeps them at her house during the week. (i educated her and everything and they get PLENTY of socializing)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts