Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a ook on websites and I can't see any point. Apparently you can train them to poo but not wee in them. So, please tell me the point, if the rat wees all over the cage it will still need cleaning out often so in what way have they been litter trained? In what way does it make any difference?

·
Registered
549 Posts
no poos on the floor

when you change the liners you don't have poo flying everywhere

the cages look neater

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would kitchen towel be a good cage liner? I wouldn't mind using yesterdays news cat litter, but then i'll probably need that for the litte tray

·
Registered
549 Posts
If its big enough, someone on here uses towels but I don't remember who. I use felt with YN in the litter box (I use a plastic bin from the dollar store for a litter bx)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It also helps a lot with smell, and instead of scrubbing up poo and such you can dump the box. And some ratties will pee in the box too. Most won't though. :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
al those above are good answers, mine always pee and poo in the box and i didnt even train them, it makes cage cleaning much more pleasent :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have to admit, my girls will scent mark, however they do pee and poo in their litter boxes majority of the time. I cant tell you the last time I saw poo out of the litter box except for when it gets kicked out if they are being gross and wrestling in the litter box. I know they pee in it just cause, well I watch em, lol. They climb out of their hammocks, jump in the litter boxes, back up to the corner (tailsup) and then shimmy into the perfect spot, and than they go :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
My girls can be the laziest. They jump from their hammock, have a quick wee on their platform then jump straight back into bed.
Altho they do keep their pooping in the litter tray and it looks like they wee in there most of the time whne they can be bothered to.

I think Dotty and Doris picked up where they had to poo - or where I prefered them to more like - after about 3-4 days of me having them :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I tried to teach my rat to use a litter box but I think he views his cage as a litter box and my room as his cage. It didnt work out.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I use Pets At Home wood pellets.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I use the wood pellets for the litter tray and 'safe bedding' (Which is basically soft paper bedding which has been dust extracted, the kind you'd use to put in your hamsters house) for the flooring.

But it's personal choice at the end of the day - and money limit.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I use towels in my FN, it absorbs the urine quite well and for the most part my bunch use their tray. Unfortunately, Jake likes to dig a hole to poo and ends up flinging the litter everywhere...xD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts