Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you go about litter training your rats?
We have one of the corner litter pan thingys and my girls will be 6 weeks old on Sunday... right now there seems no rhyme or reason to where they go.. they tend to go in their igloo or around it instead of at the bottom.. Right now I am using the Cozy Fresh stuff but am open to other suggestions if something else works better.. I read once to see which corner they "go" in the most but I'm not putting the litter on the top level of their home obviously... lol
Any suggestions from the experts is always appreciated! ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am far from an expert but I have been using a pee rock and it works very well. My two fuzzies use the rock in a small plastic container about 85% of the time. I think they are just lazy the other part of the time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Again, no expert just a new rat mama. I did a lot of research on litter training before we brought the boys home and what I'm doing seems to be working pretty good! I use towels to line the floors of their home, with a paper litter in the trays. I read it helps them understand where to go, instead of confusing the floor with the tray. Ours also just went everywhere so I put one tray near their usual sleeping spot and another at the bottom of the cage. During the day we don't have poos at all on the floor! There's still a couple when I first see to them in the morning but nowhere near as many as when they first came home. We've only been training since Tuesday so I'm pretty happy with how we're getting on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is a semi-old thread but just thought I'd contribute! The best method I've used for my rats is to put the litter tray in the area they poop most, and then put all their poop in the litter tray. If there's a grate on the pan, don't use it yet. Make sure they're well adjusted to litter training before introducing the grate. Also, make sure the bedding looks different to the litter. For instance, if you line the cage with fleece, don't put fleece (or other fabrics) in the pan. As long as the bedding looks different from the Cozy Fresh, you should be fine. Most rats can get accustomed to litter training, though that's not a rule.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts