Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to litter train my boys. I think my attention hog of a rat Atticus is just being spiteful and standing on the edge of the litter box and going out the wrong side of it. I have been trying for a few weeks and seem not to be getting anywhere. they have two for the two older boys and the baby boys have one. They are still really little so I have been waiting a little for them to get bigger but Atticus and Gandalf just dont seem to be getting it. How can I train them to use it? I have never had such problems my old mischief picked it up in a few days and i didnt have any more problems but this time around its much harder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a similar kind of situation. I was trying for two weeks with no success, the rats just didn't seem to get it at all. So I thought to myself "Ok, if this works for others but it's not working for me, then it must be something I'm doing wrong, not the rats."

I was using a small, hooded litter tray so first I took the hood away. No luck.

Then I swapped the tray for a big, oval dish. This had some success, but it was more like they stopped actively avoiding the litter tray rather than were choosing to go there.

So then I took almost everything out from the bottom of the cage and put in a huge corner litter tray. Almost overnight they started going almost exclusively in the tray. Now that they understand the concept of pooping in the tray I was going to start trying to use a smaller tray, but even with the big tray (it's probably really only huge when compared with the size of tray I started with) I've found that they actually need a tray that big because rats produce a LOT of poop. I can now see how silly it was trying to get them to go in that tiny little "potty" I started with.

I guess the rats could see that from day one. ;)

I'n not saying it's the same situation for you, but it would be worth trying to change things just to see if there's something preventing them from using it, rather than them just not getting the hang of it.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
The truth is not all rats wil get it. And many only half way get it.

So I would keep trying but don't get your hopes up on perfection :)

Do you use a pee rock? A large rock placed in the litter tray really helps draw them to pee on it like magic. It is weird but it works lol
Large litter trays
Multiple trays
In good corner spots
Mine tend to like going under things. I have had luck placing litter trays under wheels/ramps.

Besides that just pray lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have two litter trays the same size as i had for my old mischief (one of them weighed 3lbs and was a giant!) I used pee rocks before with my old boys but now i don't have any so that might be just was i am missing. I will go get some this week and see if it work my much wished for magic. right now my dcn is seperated with my older boys on top and the babies on the bottom and the bigger boys have two the babies have one. Should i add some more??

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The set up definitely matters, mine are great because I don't have any flat surfaces / shelves, instead I use hanging litter trays. I put them right under there fave sleeping spots and they are happy to roll out of the hammocks to take a pee. It means they are pretty well litter trained without me actually doing any work to achieve it. Something a lot of people are quite shocked by lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, you should try the methods that Guzzi recommends and I was in a similar situation as well. I bought a package of paper bedding to use as their litter and my rats just liked to play in the paper and not use the bathroom in it. I bought them a bigger litterbox with better litter but they still wouldn't go in the litter box. What I had to do was when I spot cleaned each day, I used a little scooper thing and put their droppings in their litter box. After about a week they were completely litter trained! Goodluck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
We must be very lucky - we just put a large litter box in the corner with a pee stone in it. We've been spot cleaning and putting their poops into the litter box. Now they are pooping in the litter box much of the time. They are still pooping everywhere else, but much of the poop is being deposited into the litter box. Hopefully, their success rate will improve, but we're thankful they're getting it in there at all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts