Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was using Carefresh bedding which I didn't really like and today got some wood based cat litter which I feel is much better in my cage. I just have a few questions:-

1) As my rats have a litter tray in the cage which I am hoping they will learn to use all the time, should I be using separate litter than that in the main cage in the litter tray? Just because as I was using Carefresh I had a different litter in the tray but now that I'm using cat litter I have the same in both and wasn't sure if this will mean they will just assume the whole base as their litter area?

2) Are there any kinds of dust free cat litter I CAN'T use in the cage? I just looked for 'dust free' on the pack but wasn't sure if I have to check for fragrances or anything else?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

x

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Clay based cat litters and pine based cat litters (ever wood cat litter I've seen is pine) are not recommended. Some rats have eaten the clay litter when they're cleaning it off and it causes digestive problems. Pine can cause respiratory issues.

Lack of fragrance is always best.

For cat litters most people use Yesterday's news (rolled newsprint) or the equivalent generic.

Using the same litter in both places can be very confusing to the rats, especially right when you start training. You could try it, they may identify with the box, not the litter. Or you could use two kinds... or switch to fabric on the base.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eek. Will need to try and find a paper based litter then, mines doesn't say which wood but if pine is most common it's pretty likely to be unsuitable.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Does anyone know if you can find yesterday's news in Canada? I've been thinking of trying to train my girls to a litter box and have heard that it's great at controlling odours. Paw-x I have carefresh as well. I don't mind it and will probably use it up before getting anything else - but I agree with forensic that using the same bedding all over the cage will confuse them. I think that's why I had a hard time the first time that I tried to litter train my girls because they liked to go in their "food dish" so I made that their litter box, but I also had the same litter in the bottom of the cage. They just ended up going everywhere. Now I have a bigger cage and I'm using old towels to line it. Hopefully it'll work better this time around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.