Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new and I tried to search the forum for this subject but with no real luck. I am in the USA and I need to find a suitable litter for my ratties. I have the hamster litter right now , but its way to costly to use for long term.
Can someone suggest a good litter? I am using fleece throughout my cage and on the very bottom I am using corn cob. I am sure the cob is not great to use, but I got a huge bag at my local pet store. They told me it was the best thing to use. I have my doubts on this. Eventually I plan on getting the FN and only using cloths, and fleece, along with a litter pan full of litter for doing their business.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
my favorite is yesterdays news is a favorite for me. safe, realtively cheap, the best at odour control that i've found and easy to clean. you should be able to find it just about anywhere, from grocery stores to pet shops. though i've found that you get the most bang for your buck at feed stores with this stuff. i can get a 30lbs bag for $15 CDN and that bag can last me 5-6 months

·
Registered
224 Posts
Are you looking for a good litter to use as a substrate? Or as a general litter? Recycled paper litter and hardwood litters are most suitable for rats. Some people also just use newspaper, towels, or fleece. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts