Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm totally new to the forum but I'm not new to having a pet rat.
I had a pet rat for two wonderful years and her name was B, she died of tumors and I never thought I would ever get that attached to a rat,
but boy, was I wrong! :cry:

Anyway, my boyfriend bought me a new rat and a new cage, (it's three levels). I really missed my pet rat and he picked out the most adorable rat they had!<3

Somewhere on some website,(might have been this one?), I saw that you could train your rats to use a litterbox.

This kind of interests me.

My new rat is named BumbleBee, and she is only three months old.

I'm just mentioning that 'cause I'm not sure if the litterbox training goes along with age or not.

Sorry for being a newb. :lol:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Actually DonnaK just made a post about her adventures in litter training. It's a good story of what to do.

I have also had pretty good results, but the process is pretty easy.

1) Get a litter tray. I use a cheap plastic container from Wal-Mart. It's the gallon size, and could probably be smaller.

2) Fill it with a litter. You need to use something different than their bedding. For example, I use Yesterday's News as the litter and towels as the bedding.

3) Place the tray where they are already naturally pooping. Usually in some corner they'll poop more than elsewhere.

4) Whenever you see some poop, move it to the tray.

My rats picked it up in no time. I have gotten a little lazy moving the poop, so they don't always go in the tray, but they definitely do more often than not.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
3 months is actually a good age, I'd think. Not old enough to be really 'set in their ways' and not a baby either. :) Give it a go, just don't get frustrated, it may take a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts