Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rattie mom and I was wondering what people thought of the litterboxes for rats. I saw that a lot of you have them in your cages. How do you train them to use it? Do they actually use it and not potty everywhere else?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Training is pretty easy; most rats pick one place to go to the bathroom anyway, so it's mostly a matter of finding that place, and putting a litter pan there. Then you will have to spend some time, especially in the early stages, going through and picking up any stray raisins that they dropped anywhere else in the cage and putting them in the litter box, so that they know that's the one and only place for poop to be. Simple as that.

There are difficulties, though- some rats refused to be trained, and no one's sure why or how to predict which rats these are. Some rats will get pretty good, but still not go in the litter box 100% of the time, especially when it's hot out and they don't feel like moving. And very few rats will potty train for urine, that's just a part of what they do. So yes, most rats will actually use it, but only some will not go anywhere else ever again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a corner litter box at my local petstore and used that for my two rats. Like CaptFlow said, I just picked up any raisins and put them in the litterbox to show them that's where they should poop. However, since I've got male ratties, they pee everywhere all over the cage and not in the litterbox. So I just accept that that's how it is, and wipe down my cage daily and wash the fleece that I use for the floor of the cage.

Deb

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm working on this with ours now... I put it in after cleaning, and used plain newspaper for bedding, and added there usual substrate (yesterday's new) to the pan... well I came back 20-30mins later... and one rat turd in the pan! i was shocked... I was so happy... but it was a fluke... they still poop everywhere. We'll see!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine are still pooping everywhere too. LOL

Deb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts