Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My female albino seems to always have these little black dots around her eye, i'm not sure if it's from anything specific. It usually goes away when I give her a bath, but i'm curious as to what it actually is. ImageUploadedByPG Free1412545050.634791.jpg the texture of it is kinda hard, im not sure it's blood. She always gets it every week though so i'm curious as to what it is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I could be completely wrong, but that looks like dried porphyrin to me. My ratties get that when they've been stressed out, like when I moved apartments and they had to ride in a carrier for six hours.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 3 other rats, with my albino being the more timid rat. So assuming it could be porphyrin from stress? I know porphyrin can also be from URI's... my rats do sneeze and sometimes it sounds like they're clicking when they breathe but its not on a constant. All 4 ratties live in my CN cage together, I'm wondering if I should seperate my albino then from the others. I did get her from Petco so I know they tend to not be as healthy as bred rats.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My more timid girl gets it on occasion if she's had a stressful situation. I would say that if you're concerned about it being from a URI, you might take her in to a vet to have her evaluated, especially if she's from Petco. That way the vet could let you know of any more issues that might be there and check for mites and such.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts