Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back about a little hairless that I got from a yuck pet store on an impulse.

Luckily, he is sweet as he can be (weird, considering I got him out of a 10 gallon tank with about 8 other males/females in it). He has developed into quite a personality, and rules the roost over the other 5 males he lives with (all haired littermates).

He is remarkably hardy, too, and hasn't shown any health problems, not even a sneeze. We're amazed by our good luck. Just one little thing...

He's shrimpy.

I have no experience with hairless rats, but I read that they tend to be on the smaller side due to their higher metabolism to keep warm. My question is, how much smaller? He is almost the same age as the other boys (within a week or so), who are almost 4 months old and are nearly (if not already) at their adult size. But he's so little! He was grossly skinny when we got him; you could see his ribs. He has filled out a lot, but is still so much smaller than the other guys. I know he doesn't get bullied out of food; we watch the boys eat to make sure this doesn't happen, and it's actually the opposite. They all defer to him, if anything.

I'm worried that something is wrong with him; anybody with hairless rat experience know anything about this?

I'll post some pics of him with a rat his age. Maybe I'm just an over-worrisome mom. :wink:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Holy cow, he IS teeny! Maybe you got a dwarf somehow, that would be cool! I'm afraid I have no idea, but I would just love to see the Hairless Shrimp (and I mean that in the best possible way!) rule over the larger furry rats, it just sounds amusing.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LoL, I thought it was just me being paranoid...

People come over and comment all the time, saying stuff like, "Wow, that weird hairless one really isn't getting any bigger, is he," or, "Why does that one look like a peanut?", etc....

As far as his complete dominance of the cage, I have been meaning forever to record it, and as soon as I do, I'll post it. It makes my boyfriend and I break out into laughter no matter what sort of day we're having. :D

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
My girls have so far expressed that trend - they are much smaller than their furred counterparts.

My boys however have all equalled or surpassed my furred males! Although not the heaviest, Jake is definately one of the biggest rats I've ever had.

Like with furred, you must be able to get variables in size and the odd 'runt' (in the best sense of the word, of course!) that is smaller than usual.

Regardless of his size though - he is a sweetie! Maybe he's overcompensating in personality and dominance for what he's lacking in fluffiness? :lol:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As Ration said, hairless are smaller... I mean, when you think about it, your furred rats would be smaller without their fur, too. ;) And he may have been the runt of the litter. It's probably not a problem, as long as his health seems strong. Size doesn't matter. ;)

By the way, rats continue to "fill out" until they're about 6 months of age (and aren't considered fully mature until 8 months). So maybe he'll grow a bit more. If not, there's no concern if he's eating well, and healthy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts