Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my girls almost a week and a half ago and they got along great. Cinna-Bun is now 7 weeks old and Mouse is 9. They were cage mates at the pet store and seemed fine. I noticed a few days later they were doing their little "cat fight" domantcy brawls and that was fine. Then they started play wrestling which was super cute and the matches only lasted 7 seconds tops. As the days went on the fights became rougher and longer and the occational squeak would happen but I thought it was more play fighting. Next I realized that they had quite snuggling together and had made their own borders. Cinna-Bun is queen of the hammock and the wood Hide away is under rule of emporer Mouse. I was watching them two days ago and saw that when Mouse crawled into the hammock Cinna-Bun was very quick to literally push her out and when Cinna-Bun went into the wood hide out they had thier own little show down inside. The worst was today when the biggest fight broke out. I was in the kitchen when I heard squeaking and rushed in to see them duking it out in an all time duel. They were flying across the cage leaping on each other and the chaser and the chasey were always switching so I had no idea of who was chaseing who. When they caught up to each other they would wrestle...rough! I'm not sure if their playing any more but it sure dosen't seem like it. I don't know what could have caused this rift in their little friendship, do you think it could be the age diffrence? :cry: Advice needed, do I let them settle thier diffrences or do I intervine? Please help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sounds like you're having the troubles that I am with mine, only on a slightly larger scale. Mine were fighting a bit and Molly was causing Holly to squeak. They seemed to get along fine at times, all snuggled up together but other times Holly would be curled in a ball at the very top of their cage. For now, I've moved Holly into a secondary cage to give them some space. You might want to try to do the same, if you can.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if there's no blood involved, leave them be. they are sorting out their dominance issues and this behaviour is quite normal. if it really bothers you that much, drop a towel or facewasher on them, or put some cardboard between them. or you could be brave like me and pull them apart... so far no bites or scratches...

i have seven girls in the one cage, so there is usually one fur-flying fight a day that requires me to break them up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts