Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first rat maybe sometime in September, Gomez, a hairless rat and recently(about a month ago) I decided I wanted to get him a little friend. I dunno how old he was when I got him but he was still young(still is) and for the past few weeks I've been letting them meet each other in the bathtub. They seemed to get a long, but Winston(the young one) is very hyper around Gomez and tries to play with him and Gomez just ignores him.
But tonight I tried to put them in the same cage(Winston's cage) and all was fine other then some squeaks, Gomez pushing over Winston but it started to get a little worse so I removed Gomez and now he has a cut on his face. It doesn't look deep but there's also blood around his eye.

Is there something I could put on him so it doesn't get infected? I'm really paranoid about this, as Gomez is hairless and can get hurt more than Winston. I can't go anywhere now since its night though. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able too. Also might I add that Gomez is about a year and half to two years old and Winston is the first rat he's been in contact with for just about his entire life.

enjoy my run-on sentences.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The red around his eye is more than likely just porphyrin brought on by stress. If the cut's simply cosmetic, don't worry about cleaning it or anything - Gomez will take care of that himself.

Older rats can sometimes become fairly annoyed by youngsters, and might try extra hard to show them who's boss. Putting them in the same cage is fairly risky, so I think you should back up a little and start introducing them and letting them have playdates in neutral territory. If it goes well, clean Winston's cage extremely well (so it basically becomes neutral, at least scent-wise) and try that again.

If introductions continuously end in bloodshed, you might look into neutering both boys, which calms territorial behavior practically immediately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm pretty sure it was blood.. I mean it even wiped off a bit. He's also has had bleeding in that eye one time he got sick, but didn't look like there was any cuts and once in a while it'd start to bleed again. But lately it hasn't at all. I plan on taking him to the vet sometime next month for that.

They've been having play dates in the bathtub for a few good weeks now, usually about an hour or two every other day.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm a little concerned on the neutering thing because I've heard countless cases of people's rats dying in surgery for that.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If the rats passed away during a simple neuter, either there was something wrong with the rat that the owner's didn't take into consideration, or the vet/vet techs did something wrong. I have 11 rats, 10 of which are spayed/neutered, and I also work closely with a local rat rescue who constantly has rats in for spays and neuters. I've never lost a rat because of a neuter - it can be a very safe operation if you have a rat-savvy, experienced vet. All of my males came home bouncing around like absolutely nothing happened and recovered immediately.

Also - the "bleeding" you describe sounds like porphyrin (do you know what that is?). Excess porphryin can be brought on by many different things - stress and sickness being the most prominent.

Just so you know... small animals develop issues and health problems quickly, and should be taken to the vet as soon as something looks amiss, even if it's something small. Developing a good relationship with an experienced rat vet is utterly priceless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts