Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I try relaxing on the couch with Adie or spending some time with her while laying on my bed...and not even five minutes later she realizes 'hey, I'm going to crawl off the bed'
I hear her hit the floor and I roll my eyes...pick her back up and on the bed...then she just keeps doing it. I mean sure...it's cute the first few times....but then it's just tiring lol
it's the same thing with the couch. She ALWAYS gets her way into the couch where I can never find her and have to get her out with her favorite treat. How can I help her fufill her 'exploring' needs without her being in danger of getting lost or hurt?

I'd love some advice :D

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
build a better mouse trap so to speak

set up boxes & tubes... things to crawl into, up & around. Build it so it goes up high since rats enjoy climbing.

This may help but you are never going to change the fact that rats are curious & it is natural for them to explore.

Work on noises, calls or some kind of sound that gets their attention so that when they do get out of sight you can get them to poke their head out when they are called.

Mine respond to kissy noises & the sound of their treats being rattled inside of the plastic container I store it in. When I do either one they come running.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I put one of my rats on a bed today is a middle height bed and i just stood next to it , and the lil madam was so sweet explorin but i was worried she would jump i kept puttin my head to her level and she would stand up so she could explore my face and hair which is good cos that means she gettin to know my scent and trust me but also good cos she is explorin right infront of me safly - ive had the 3 rats i have now for 4 days and they are 8 week olds
Jess x

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's interesting that she keeps jumping to the floor. Rats have a very good sense of height, so a lot of them don't seem too interested in hopping down. I suppose some rats are just more daring than others.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I should start saving boxes and those wraping paper tubes lol she likes the tubes.

Yeah a make a clicky noise and they usually respond to that...or a chip bag lol. And I can just walk up to my bed and the next thing I know Adie(who was previously on the bed) is on my shoulder lol.

Its amazing how we can create such bonds with animals...I love it!

thanks for the advice!

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Macabri said:
It's interesting that she keeps jumping to the floor. Rats have a very good sense of height, so a lot of them don't seem too interested in hopping down. I suppose some rats are just more daring than others.
lol I know! I start noticing no movement in the covers and next thing I know she's crawling out of my closet.
but the couch thing is what bothers me...it takes forever to get her out ><

Nikki >.<

1 - 6 of 6 Posts