Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how I found out that Oxnard had this... whatever it is on his chin, was because he was actually like pulling on the skin with his front paws and it looked weird so I checked his chin, and upon close inspection it looks like a bunch of tiny scabs. It seems really itchy and he really enjoys it being scratched, but not too much.

What does this look like ? Will I need to get some Revolution?

These are the best pics I could get.

Rat Animal shelter Nose Cage Gerbil

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
It looks like mites to me. I'd treat for it with the kitten revolution. If it turns out to NOT be mites, it won't him. Chai looked exactly like that with her mites. If it were fleas, you could see them if you run your fingers through his fur... plus they tend not to manifest on the chin... usually where the fur is thicker. All signs point to mites.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ivermectin is a LOT cheaper than revolution. A couple dollars for a full tube, found at feed and farm supply stores for horses. My rats liked the apple flavor. Put about the size of a grain of white rice on a toothpick, he should gobble it right off, if not you can put it in a little bit of peanut butter (not much you want them to get all of the medicine) treat the whole cage, treating one won't do much. Treat again in a week.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ivermectin is a LOT cheaper than revolution. A couple dollars for a full tube, found at feed and farm supply stores for horses. My rats liked the apple flavor. Put about the size of a grain of white rice on a toothpick, he should gobble it right off, if not you can put it in a little bit of peanut butter (not much you want them to get all of the medicine) treat the whole cage, treating one won't do much. Treat again in a week.

Oxnard's cagemate died from Ivermectin. Do not endorse the home use of it. It is extremely dangerous and should not be used. Horrible advice, peanutbutter is also dangerous. Please don't give this info out anymore. :/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you :) I was pretty certain it was mites. Should I treat all of my rats? I have 6, all living in the same room, but 3 are in another cage. Oxnard lives with 2 younger boys.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You need to treat them ALL. Not only that, you need to wash everything in the cage, freeze toys and bedding, ect.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I use fleece blankets, will I still need to freeze it all, even the clean fabric items I put in their cage? I wash everything fabric in the washer with detergent with warm water. There's nothing fabric around both cages, no rugs or anything.

Also, I put olive oil on Oxnard which he hated, and I actually managed to pick one of the bugs out of his fur... and noticed he had more scabs than I thought under his fur on his body. ):
it is extremely tiny but was easy to spot in his white fur, probably 1mm long; I can hardly see the details of its body but it's brown and its body is longer rather than rounder.

I don't know where they came from. I do give all the rats apple wood twigs from outside but it's been below freezing outside here the last time I got them some (I'm in Canada) so I didn't think anything could be surviving on the twigs, and if they did, putting it in the freezer wouldn't do anything...

I also put rocks in the cages for them to mark to cut down on marking all over the cage, but I soak them and scrub them with a brush with dish liquid in almost-boiling water...

Also, I'm getting Revolution for all of them asap, just thought I'd add that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts