Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here feed live food to their ratties? My dad turned up with a tub of live crickets for my rats the other day, i was a little unsure as to whether they would go for it especially considering what a wimp my dumbo(Ronnie) is. I dropped one into the cage and within seconds they were chasing it all over, i kinda felt sorry for the poor little bug but the rats went crazy for them. Im only going to use them as a treat on occasion as they are high in protien, just wondered if anyone else had tried any live foods?

·
Registered
20 Posts
OMG don't do that please. It's just as bad as when people feed live rats to snakes, they don't deserve that. Ok, I understand in the wild this is natural behaviour but in a cage the poor cricket stands no chance! Just because it's a cricket does not mean he is worth less than a rat. :' (

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh come on are u serious? If i thought the crickets were suffering i wouldnt do it, they are great for giving the rats stimulation and its really no different from the thousands of insects we squish everyday under our feet and on the windscreens of our cars. Have u never swatted a fly or a spider?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not sure if their is any nutritional value to the crickets, if they eat them. It would be fun to see the rats chasing them.

As for being cruel, whatever. We eat animals, animals eat animals. It's a fact of life, whether in nature or in a tank. Some animals are raised for food, that is their purpose in life. People raise mice and rats just for snake food, just as we raise cows, chickens, and pigs (and others) just for food. I am not saying an animals life is worthless, as I love animals, but some just have a certain purpose. You can't save every animal in the world. If we are to keep meat eating animals in captivity then we have to raise food to feed them. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
giving live food is no different then us eating meat. yeah, its not a fun time for the food and its a very strong reason i won't own snakes or anything else that needs live food but when it comes to insects i can't really bring myself to care so much for them. like angel said, i swat at them all the time. what i would be worried about would be if they were safe to give to the rats or not and if they escaped the cage how the heck i would find them to get rid of them. having a cricket hiding in a big farm house is NOT fun to find at 2 in the morning when their chirping is keeping you awake. as far as giving them to your rats, i'm really not sure if its good or not. if they were bred for food i suppose they should be illness free but i'm really not sure how bugs for food work. maybe you should ask the pet store what goes into the bugs to make sure they're safe and all that.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
RatKiller said:
Im going to breed giant killer mutent crickets so I can feed rats to them.
FUP you all!!!! **** Rat lovers
if you aren't a rat lover or at least interested in rats as pets what are you doing on ratlovers forum?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
twitch said:
what i would be worried about would be if they were safe to give to the rats or not and if they escaped the cage how the heck i would find them to get rid of them. having a cricket hiding in a big farm house is NOT fun to find at 2 in the morning when their chirping is keeping you awake
ROFL :lol:

That did actually happen the other day he he, i just watch carefully and grab the cricket if it escapes now. The crickets came from a snake store so i presume they are pretty safe and the idea actually came from a site that was linked on this one so im not the only one doing this monstrous act! :twisted: I was more interested in providing stimulation for my fur babies rather than the nutritional value and it definately worked. They seem to love chasing them and enjoy munching on them too and dont worry the rats ensure a very swift demise for the little buggies.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As well as crickets, you can purchase mealworms/superworms as a treat as well.

My rats used to love mealworms as a treat... after a long time not buying them though, they wouldn't touch them the last time I did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if the store buys them from a reputable dealer such as flukers farms they are raised on vitamin enriched foods. the crickets and meal worms are very high in proteins and other vitamins essential for the reptiles they are intended for so they would be good for the rats as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, I know people have different opinions to me but I'm Buddhist and I strongly believe that every animal is equal so just as much as I care about cats, dogs, rats etc I care about all insects, so squishing a spider or fly or feeding a cricket to a rat would be out of the question. Like I said I understand that this happens in the wild but I couldn't personally do it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
ok i have been breeding rats for 6yrs now most of them go for snake food but i try to get them in to pet home when i can and yes i have snakes and lizards that eat mice and rats. i also want to say that i love all animals i even have a spider as a pet but i do have to keep all animals feed and happy. now that i have said all that i have feed my rats and mice even my pet rats mealworms crickets and crayfish and i have never had any problems with my rats. the live food i feed are more or less treats there main diet is a mix of things like hamster seed dog food left over human food. i have tryed those lab blocks and my rats would not tuch them. i know some on here will look at me as a bad person but i will say that i have had about ten or so rats that were just pets and i loved them like i do my dogs or other animals in my home.

·
Registered
133 Posts
freshly killed is what my snakes prefer. unless i have baby snakes than i have to feed live pinky mice but i wean them to killed. i have a freind that breeds reptiles and i sell him frozen mice and rats that were put down as painless and qiuck as posible but realy that is my bf job i dont really like to put down animals. i am the one that feeds the reptiles thou.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Uh, I don't really see why you're on this forum. This is a pet rat forum - don't you see how the fact that you KILL rats would be somewhat disturbing to us?

·
Registered
928 Posts
as you sed this is a pet rat forum she does keep rats but i dont c why its wrong to feed mice ect to snakes thats what they need to eat! every 1 has their own opions and in my opinon a snakes gotta eat and if its rats they need thats how it is, but its not like they are pet rats she is feeding to the snake that would be different! although i do not think this is the place to discuss it as it may upset ppl

·
Registered
133 Posts
i dont want to upset people and i do keep a few rats as pets only but i also want to be honest. and if someone ask me a question i want to answer it honestly. i came here to hopfuly learn a little more about rats as pets. and as i said before i try to find as many pet homes for my rats as i can. most of my snakes eats mice.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
As long as you and your boyfriend do everything ethically, in no way harm the rats, and keep them in adequate cages (IE - no tanks or storage containers), I'm fine with you raising feeders.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts