Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found that I had one of these bottles: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10382+22183&pcatid=22183 while rummaging around the rat shed. I remember buying it because it said that it had some different design that prevented leaking. So I excitedly filled it up with water, started it up, and stuck it to the cage (my current bottles have bowls under them to contain the dripping)...

However, new problem! Of course. My rats only lick the bottle until the water that I primed is gone. Then they can't seem to figure out how to get more water out of it. Any tips? Tricks? Magics? I'd like to be able to get more of these so I can get rid of the Superpet bottles I have that just leak and basically create bathing sites for the rats.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Is it a stick instead of a ball? You can try showing them how or forcing them to do it. Rats catch on easily.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a stick. I tried showing them and it just looked like they licked it until the water I primed was gone... How do I force them to do it?

·
Registered
383 Posts
What a great find. I think I'll order one from Amazon and give it a try. We have two standard bottle to use as backups if this doesn't work out for our ratties.

Interestingly enough, when I search for Lixit Flip-Top Bottle on Amazon, I get the results along with a stipulation that the search excluded adult items. I'm kind of afraid to see the full list now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? That, I did not get.
Make sure that you check to see if you are getting the valve bottle or the quicklock bottle. The valve one is a clear blue with a white top; not white with a blue top. The link I posted in the original post leads to the 10.14 oz bottle, to let you know what it looks like. www.drfostersmith.com sells it cheaper than amazon. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For the dripping water bottles, I might have a tip for you. I can't remember where I found it..... it helps though! Fill up the water bottle till there is about a half inch of space left.Squeeze the water bottle until water comes up to the top. As you continue to squeeze it, put the top on and tighten it up. A little water may shoot at you, but that's okay! Turn the bottle upside down and slowly remove your hand. You should see bubbles and hear a slowish wooshing sound. Tap the ball to make sure water is coming out. It may drip for just a minute or two after you put it in the cage ( tap it a few more times to get the excess water out ) But it should stop. Doing this creates a suction and stops the dripping! Hope it helps!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ah, my bottles are glass, so I can't really squeeze them. Plus, the bottles I have are mounted inside the cage, so they get pretty nasty since my rats like to pee on top of them.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've been trying to acclimate my rats to the new bottle by baiting the valve with honey... Fela seems to be the only one who has it down decently enough... But man, getting her to understand was rough...
Me: "Fela, here" *bait valve"
Fela: *sniff* *runs over to me*
Me: "No, look at the bottle" *point*
F: *sniff* *spin* *licks hand*
M: "No, look, there's honey"
F: *sniff* *licks hand* *spin*
M: *sigh* *primes bottle again*
F: HONEY! *lick lick lick lick lick*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts