Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm so excited to report Loki's new home. I posted athread here about a week ago. He came to be from a neighbor who knew of this rat in a school as a class pet. Because of the coronavirus they needed to find him a permanent home with the school closing. My neighbor knows I have several types of hamsters and a broad basic understanding of different rodents and thought I'd be interested. I kinda wasn't just because I wasn't prepared to house a rat. Then she sent me this picture.
I about died when I seen this. No hesitation I said yes I'll take him. After getting him here and finding this forum, I got some very helpful advice from a few members. I moved him into a temp bin tower cage showered him with toys and treats until I could get his permanent cage. Now that it's here took two days for him to really explore.

Loki is warming up to me quickly. Runs to the door when he hears me talking and when near the cage , excitedly runs around standing up tall bruxing and showing off his skills. Tossing his ball around. He's much happier than when he arrived. He was pretty scared. He's come a long way already. His first 7 months of his life spent in that tiny cage in a class room where the only attention he would get is from students when they were allowed to and then alone the rest of evening until the next school morning. I intend to get cage mates for him but now that this virus pandemic has arrived I haven't been able to do much traveling to get any. And I wasn't certain Loki will take to another since he's been alone so long. So hopefully this madness ends soon and get back to normal and I can find him friends. If for some reason he won't bond with other rats the new cage closes off to make two cage. Bought on Amazon, Prevue Hendryx Feisty ferret cage
Still filling it up and making toys and hammocks and things for him. Keeping myself busy making those and face masks. I just made floor covers for the bottom grates. So he's not walking on bars 24\7. I used the cardboard the cage came in and covered it with contact paper for shelves and draws etc. It folds and wipes off easy. Eventually some urine could creep into the cardboard. It's cheap enough to toss and make new one if that happens. I'm trying to litter train him. He doesn't know any better. I may experiment and seal the bottom with a spray rubber coating. Looking a different liners online too.
Now that I have Loki I'm so glad I got him. He is great and coming into his own. He found out there is more to life than food water, 2x1 cage bedding and cardboard tube. ☺

·
Registered
794 Posts
What a lucky rat to have found you! It looks like you guys are doing great together.

Having a cage that can be split in two sections will be nice in the chance that intros take a long time (because he's been a solo boy for most of his life) or if it doesn't work out at all.

Getting a pair of juvenile rats is often the easiest type of introduction because there's less territorial posturing that goes on. However, the cage bars on the Feisty Ferret cage are spaced far apart enough that smaller rats can squeeze between them to escape. You may need to purchase some 1/2" hardware cloth and zip-ties to cover the bars of the cage while the new rats are still young and small. Purchasing or adopting larger adult boys would negate this requirement but intros may be more tense, take longer, and may have a little less likelihood of success.

In the mean time, stay safe and healthy and have fun with your new bub!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. He's great. My fiance wasn't too pleased at first. Our house is a small two bedroom and we have 4 cats and my 3 hamsters. And recently my one rescued Maine coone decided to bring home two stray Maine coones. What are the chances of that? Lol they are still pretty outdoor cats but more and more they've settled in the house. And my fiance was playing pide Piper winning them over without my ok, so I didn't tell him about Loki lol. The first week he just ignored he was here. Until 3 days ago I caught him talking sweet to him and petting him. Each day a lil more and today Loki started licking his hand and he was giddy. Lol I've been boasting about all the things Loki is doing and today my fiance Rich was going on and on "look at him run up to me!" Oh wow look he plays ball". I said see isn't he awesome?! Lol.
Anyway back to the cage. I have tons of mesh and zip ties. Those bars definitely could've been a bit smaller for sure. But I can modify it if I get some babies.
Not sure how likely is I'll find one by but what about a fixed female? Just by chance there's one for adoption. I try not to buy from pet stores. I look at pet finder .com and similar sites often. Never seems to be any close enough to my area though.

·
Registered
794 Posts
A fixed female could potentially work!

One benefit of purchasing a pair of rats at the same time is that if the intro with Mr. Jingles doesn't work out, they'll at least still have each other and you won't have to worry about going out and finding another rat to keep the second rat company.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A fixed female could potentially work!

One benefit of purchasing a pair of rats at the same time is that if the intro with Mr. Jingles doesn't work out, they'll at least still have each other and you won't have to worry about going out and finding another rat to keep the second rat company.
Gotcha that makes sense. Like I mentioned I do try not to buy animals from petstores but I do sometimes. If a animal charms me I have a hard time walking away from them. The one PetSmart carries male rats,I inquired about. They didn't have any that day. The employee radioed the manager to double check what gender and twice she asked me "alive right" ugh I know people get them for snakes but by the second time she said that to me I said" yes alive for the 2nd time and please don't ask me that again. Ugh but due to the virus they weren't ordering for anymore rats right now. I just wish the stores really cared like they always claim they do. Most employees aren't very knowledgeable sometimes but not often enough. I've been thinking about starting a petition against Kaytee for their irresponsible marketing of their small cages and boycott them all together until they stop making those cages and make appropriate sizes and at the very least make it clear on their products which animals belong to what cage. Like the cage I shown here I don't think is a Kaytee brand but that one comes up as a rat cage in a lot of searches. Ugh I digress it bothers me a lot. Oh and I changed his name to Loki. Me jingles as I'm sure you know was a mouse in the green mile and I just didn't like it for him. And this smart boy learned his new name in days. 😁

1 - 5 of 5 Posts