Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm soooo excited for Loki! Since he's come to me he's grown rapidly into a super affectionate guy. He absolutely loves to be pet, scratched, chased, tickled, you name it! He just wants to play and love. The poor guy just watches my every move until I'm back at his cage. I wasn't certain how he would take to cagemates since he is now 8 months old and gigantic lol I am still new to rats overall. But I think he's shown me he will do well with buddies.
So I tracked down a guy who had 3 month old Dumbo babies and two males too! With this virus madness there hasn't been any rats available in my area. I picked them up last night. I sat their cage in front of Loki's cage. The first 6-7 hrs they mostly stayed huddled together and Loki just kinda looked on curious and then excited. Some time in the middle of the night the babies got curious and now all going bonkers to get to each other. It hasn't even been 24 hrs. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I've watched a million hours of YouTube videos on the topic and I dunno, I don't think I'm gonna have to keep them separate for two weeks. I'm not even sure they will last another 12 hrs .they are all Bar chewing like crazy to get to Loki. And Loki is definitely not stressed out over them. If anything he wants them just as bad. I appreciate any thoughts. 😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So glad YouTube exists. This was a smooth, swift, successful merger. A total of 18 hours separate. I started with placing one of the babies into Loki's cage while they were awake and interested. First let them sniff each other before I let little one loose. All was well and added his brother. Almost thought the babies were getting a upper hand on Loki being very pushy. I let it play out until I felt they were stressing him out. Right then Loki showed them who's boss pinning them both lol. They tried to run things. Overall no fights. Next day I did find a little spot of blood but couldn't see any injuries. Now they're learning from him, watching how he is with me. Loki's learning tricks. They're trying to mimic him. Hopefully we'll have some names for the babies soon. I try and let my pets tell me their names by showing me. Love them so much. Bringing a lot of smiles to this house

1 - 2 of 2 Posts