Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
she just finished licking off some cream cheese from my finger left over from dinner as desert. i think you should try that for a treat too. the only problem is it is very fattening, but i guess i little every once in a while as a small treat would be ok. she is very used to me now and i am sure glad you guys are givin' me these great ideas . i will try peanut butter tommorow night. every night after dinner she gets a treat, and sometimes in the morning she gets some of my oatmeal and scrambled eggs. she always wishes it were night time i bet. at night before i have my dinner, i give my rattie some sping mix lettuse, some corn, spinach, ceralry in little peices because its hard to chew, broccili, apples and pears, a banana cut up, and some chicken. no lie, i am serious. her regular food diet is the forti-diet pellets and sunflower seeds. she is a spoiled rat, that's for sure. :lol: the only tipical problem is that she is not eating any of her regular food diet. i mean i started her off in the beggining when we got her on just the forti-diet and then we added the sunflower seeds. she wouldn't and still wont touch any of fer regular food diet. that is part of the reason why we gave her some other healthy food, so she wouldn't starve. and every pet owner should know to not give their animals treats as their regular food diet :( . i give her one treat every night, a lick of cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, or even peanut butter off my finger. and i also give her the other stuff to that is also very healthy and she eats that, its just the regular food diet she is not eating. i need any ideas of other commercial rat food to give my rat. any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Ummm...why do you keep changing her name? Recognizing her name is part of the socialization. So you need to pick one and stay with it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think lola is a good name, so i wont change it it again. i just got her so i hadn't actualy decided on a name yet, but now i have. thanks for reconizing that. her permanent name is now lola, honest.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well, to start, Forti-diet isn't a great staple to begin with. I'd look into finding something better.

But, the simple answer is, if she's getting so much other stuff that tastes so much better, why bother with her actual diet?

I'd cut her down to the staple diet with some veggies once a day. A small amount of veggies.

Treats are great, but if she's getting tons of other stuff she may not be getting everything she needs, which can result in a fat or unhealthy rattie.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Most of the pet store rat foods are horrible and Forti-diet is probably the worst. The only one I'd even recommend would be Oxbow's Regal Rat. You can use the store locator on their website to see if any stores near you carry their products: http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp

Be careful with the peanut butter as it's a choking hazard. If you're going to feed it to her, spread it thin on a cracker or dilute it with something. Also, a warning on the lettuce, don't feed iceburg lettuce. Romaine and the others are good to feed but iceburg has almost no nutritional value and can cause diarrhea. Easy on the dairy as rats are lactose intolerant and too much can cause problems and cut back on the sunflower seeds. They are a healthy treat but too high in fat and protein to be fed regularly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts