Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay haha
Well I've had Lola for about a month now. And she is so sweet as long as she is in the cage. I try to handle her as much as I can but the thing is I'm afraid i'm stressing her out because she poops everywhere. not just normal poop, but nasty smelling squishy poops. and It makes me nauseus its so bad. and I'm really afraid shes afraid.
Is there any reason other than that she would do that? because its not that way in the cage and fiona my oldest never did this. and if theres a way how can i stop this?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It's called 'fear poop'. She's probably not quite used to you yet. My boys took a bit to get over it, but will still do it if badly startled (like the dog jumping up to lick them...)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, I think Forensic may be right. Barry took forever to get over his pooping... he still does it when he needs medication...

Just be patient, even though it is gross...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was just about to post a thread similar to this one- I've had Sweetness for about a month now, and she does the same exact thing. None of my other rats do this, so I was wondering if she was sick or something.

How can you get them to overcome the fear? I usually just put her back in her cage when she does that- and if she doesn't do it, she gets a yogurt drop. I just feel bad because she isn't getting nearly as much free range play as the rest of the girls. I'm in the process of litter training them- do you guys think that having a litter box out during free range play will help?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey, just wanted to give a little bit of an update: I took Sweetness out for free range play today with the litter box, and she only pooped outside of it once (as soon as I put her down in the bed). She kept returning to the box after that, and she didn't poop on the bed once.

Keep in mind that she isn't fully litter trained yet- I just started litter training them last Friday.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha i am so glad you said that I was afraid to be like "she doesnt get to play as much" and people say "OH MY GOSH YOU'RE A HORRIBLE OWNER!"

I'm not a bad owner! but i'd rather not either puke on my rat/or ruin my mothers furnature. haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts