Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know one of my rattlets just recently died (read about it here: http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=6227.html ) . His cage mate, Joey, will have to be a lone rat for the rest of his life, because of a disease which can be contagious.

I need help keeping him busy, so he won't be lonely. How can you bond with a lone rat so that they'll consider you as a friend? This little guy isn't very accustomed with me yet, for some weird reason. He's scared and doesn't seem to know what's going on. Will he be okay without his old cage mate?

Any suggestions?

Advice would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I wasn't aware that if the rat was treated for bronchopneumonia that it would remain a carrier for it.

I know in your previous posts you wondered whether it was bronchopneumonia or mycoplasmosis, did you ever get confirmation from your vet? You also mentioned that both your rats were receiving antibiotics, did you continue for this rat for the full term?

I don't see why (unless someone more experienced can tell me I'm being stupid) you can't buy a new rat and why your little one will have to be a loner for the rest of his life. Surely give him a good long QT period, if you haven't stopped with the antibiotics then continue them for their full term, just incase, and if he's not showing any ill symptoms after 5 weeks - surely you can assume that he's healthy and didn't catch it?

If it's myco, then chances are that any rat you will bring into your house, including your resident rat, already has it. Myco is just one of those things they have to live with - and we have to deal with.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't recieved confirmation from my vet, but my boyfriend and I assume it is bronchopneamonia, as the symptoms best suited both the rats. It may well just be mycoplasmosis, but until I get confirmation I cannot be sure.

There is a major chance Joey definately has this disease (though not as major as Max was). But there is also a minor chance he is not. Lets just hope he's not.

I'm searching for a new vet, so s/he can confirm if Joey still has it. If Joey's okay, then I will definately consider getting him a friend. But for the time being, I will continue giving Joey his anti-biotics.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
bronchopneumonia is caused by CAR Bacillus which is contagious and very rare. So rare that you cannot diagnose it until after the rat has died.

Diagnosis of CAR bacillus infection can be difficult. Diagnostic methods include serology (ELISA), PCR and microscopic examination of tissues (can only be performed on a rat that has died).

http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/car_bacillus.php

Mycoplasmosis presents in many different ways...it can allow respiratory infections to invade the rat, or genital infections, etc. It is inherent in all pet rats so you cannot get away from it. Myco as Ration said, is something we live with. Most rats in a certain area will have the same strain of myco, but some rats just have weaker immune systems and some have strong immune systems (or more myco-resistant) and may never show symptoms their entire life while continually battling it.

I think your rats had typical myco. If your vet says they can diagnose the CARB without an ELISA test (blood) or a necro after death, then they are wrong. I would say you should get a friend for your lone boy for sure.

The truly contagious diseases to worry about are SDA, Sendai, Kilham Rat Virus, etc. Those are the true killer and the reasons for quarantine. CARB is rare and often mimics Myco in its symptoms.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree with lilspaz, I'd get him a friend.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm planning on taking him to the vet beforehand, because I'm not sure if I must continue putting anti-biotics in the water.

After this, I'm gonna get a freind ..

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I wouldn't put anti-biotics in the water, period. It's too risky for the dosage. I would ask for oral (aka one you can give by syringe) and mix it in with something yummy to feed it to him. At least you'll know that he's getting the reccommended dosage

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think seeing another vet is probably a good thing. I can understand why your hesitant about getting him a friend, if you're still unsure of what it may have been. Only a good vet can tell you the info you need to know, so wait until you have it before you decide to adopt another rat. Don't forget to make a little room in your heart for a new addition to the family. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
This vet doesn't sound very knowledgeable. They don't sound like they really know what they're talking about in regards to your rats illness, plus they apparently are having you dose your rat via their water bottle. I'd find a new vet.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm extremely hesitant about getting another rat, because if Joey has a different disease then I'm told by my current vet, I don't want the new addition getting it.

The vet I'm seeing is very good with our dog, cats and bird, but I'm assuming he has no knowledge with rats. He actually walked in with a book about rat diseases when I saw him last to treat my little guys.

At the moment I am searching for a new and better vet in the area, so s/he can determine whether I can get another rat or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts