Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know a little bit about this but I have an update along with a few questions. I have three rats who are about 6 months old (two boys Zak and Sunny and one spayed girl Ronnie), I recently picked up three 18 month old boys called Benny, Smokey and Hiccup. Benny has ended up being a lone rat at the moment because he started being uncontrollably aggressive towards his two brothers (before I began any intro's) I removed him from the cage and put him in a separate cage away from all other rats. I then tried to do some reintroductions a day later with his brothers, again he became really aggressive and lashed out at them. So for the last two weeks Benny has been living as a lone rat. Although I feel awful about this, I believe he's coping okay with it. Anything I should look out for that would suggest other wise? He's still playful and comes up to the cage EVERY time I walk past, he seems bright-eyed and responsive. He's a really really good rat and is allowed to free range in the whole front room for a couple of hours a night. No bar chewing, no spinning, no tail chasing, no human aggression. I am also currently trying some introductions with my other 5. The alpha in the original three was Sunny and since the removal of Benny, Smokey had taken up the alpha role there. I took all 5 rats into the bathroom and put them into the bath with some towels down, I let them interact a bit and everything seemed to be going okay. Then Sunny and Ronnie realised they could jump out of the bath so I put the cat carrier down and let them all go in and out a couple of times before closing the door. There were a few fights but nothing majorly serious. I left them in the carrier over night with some scattered food and two water bottles. I completely deep cleaned and emptied the whole cage of anything and everything. The next morning I put them back into the cage with the substrate from the carrier and two food and water sources. Sunny started squaring up to Smokey but never actually went for him. I've noticed however that Smokey and hiccup will huddle in a corner practically frozen with fear and if any of the other three even come close Smokey will bare his teeth and scream. I've pounced out of bed in the middle of the night multiple times to check but there are NO injuries, smokey and hiccup are just terrified for some reason. I then tried putting them all in a much smaller carrier for a couple of hours and everyone fell asleep snuggled up together??? The next night Smokey screamed again! Any ideas of what else I can try? Have I done something wrong? If I can't get either Hiccup and Smokey to bond with my three, or Benny, Hiccup and Smokey to bond again then there's no way I can give efficient care for two separate mischiefs and a lone rat. I'm really stiuck with what to do. Any advice? Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
you can try gettin benny newtered that can help with him being mean to his brothers and take your time like 3 to4 weeks for intros

·
Registered
RIP Cloud | Dew is my current rat (American Mink)
642 Posts
Always check the date of posts, this was posted in 2014 and it’s likely that you will get no response! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts