Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I used to have two older female rats, but one had to be put down and I was left with the other. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of getting more rats. She's acting pretty normal as far as I can tell, no signs of depression, but she seems to sleep more often. Every day for the past few weeks, I've been moving her to a second cage on our main floor so that she can see us and interact with us more. She appears to like the second cage and being on the main floor, but gets super stressed out whenever we try to put her in her carrier and move her from floor to floor (she has always disliked being picked up).

Should I continue to move her to our main floor during the day or is there something different I should try? Also, any tips on how to make her feel less lonely whenever she is in her regular cage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While we could keep her on the main floor, the cage is pretty small compared to her normal cage so not as many things can fit in it. Do you think giving her a stuffed animal would help at all? Somebody suggested this on a different rat forum but I'm not sure if it would work...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't think giving a stuffed animal would help, I think she would just chew it up (my rats have). Can you bring the big cage downstairs? If she's still young enough to be active then make sure your giving tons of enrichment for her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion! It'll take a while to dismantle and move the cage (why do Critter Nations have to be so darn heavy?) but it'll be good in the long run. I've been making little cardboard and paper towel toys for her to destroy, but I'll get some other things off of Amazon later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts