Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have had rats before and know they need love and attention and other ratties, but how about a lone rat? mum said i can have one but not 2 and its impossoble to convince her to think otherwise.

i have 3 mice at home and i was thinking if i got a new cage and put the lone rattie in that cage and then put that cage next to the mice cage, that will be o.k because she will be able to sociallise [with out touching of course] and maybe be happy?? please in need of help please reply :?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If your mom really can't be convinced to let you get two rats, then you should not get a rat. Nothing you do can compensate for not having a rattie friend - and putting a rat cage next to a mouse cage is not a good idea. Mice are prey to rats, not friends. And you're right, rats need to be with other rats. They're very social, and wouldn't be happy alone.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you really wanted a rat but could only keep a lone rat, you could try to find rescues that have rats and look for one that have to be kept alone due to issues with aggression towards other ratties but not people. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like a very good idea! i think it would be O.K but i'll wait till i get a few more comments just to be %100 sure. I mean i would love to another rat as i havent had one in a while but i want it to be completley happy and if i cant have a lone rat i'll just have to wait until i can have two.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If one rat is the limit, I agree the rescue idea is perfect. But to be honest, caring for two rats is not greatly different than caring for two. But I guess you'll have played that card with your mum... Good luck whatever happens. xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts