Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I brought Mavis and I intend to introduce her to Doris and Roxy, then eventually and hopefully move her into the main cage.

I talk to her all the time and put her cage on the bed so she can have a run around if she likes and so we can bond together, but I know this isn't enough to replace her not having a friend in her temporary home - Getting 2 new rats wasn't/isn't an option.
She seems so lonely and depressed at the moment and I'm doing all I can think of to help her. But I was just wondering whether anyone has any tips or suggestions on how I can help her get through these next few weeks while she has to be by herself...? Especially as I have work and I won't be here for upto 6 hours a day.

I feel terrible her having to be by herself and I don't want her getting to lonely. But in the end I know it's going to be worth it and she'll be happy in her new home with her 2 new friends.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: Lonely new rat

If Mavis and your other rats are all in the same house together, there's really no point in doing quarantine. I would start trying to introduce Mavis to your new girls soon.

Of course, I may be wrong. So you should wait for more experienced people to help you! xD

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I know they should be in a completely different house and if not that, then room. But unfortunely that wasn't an option for me, again.
They are in different cages. Mavis is on my book shelf.

I want Mavis to trust me and allow me to pick her up before I start introducing and putting them all together. I'm thinking about putting Mavis' cage next to the main cage this weekend and then introducing properly the following - all depending on how our relationship develops.

·
Registered
418 Posts

I don't recommend waiting for your relationship to start blooming before you introduce them. Since you have already ignored quarantine you might as well get on with intros. Chances are she will become more friendly to you because she has friends (which probably aren't afraid of you I'm assuming?). If she sees her new sisters playing with you she'll be more likely to try so too! Put the cages close together now (today!), and then follow the into steps after that. Best of luck, and I hope she's healthy.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It's not the fact that I ignored quarantine, it's that I had no other choice. If I could than I would've had them in completely different rooms if not houses.
She does appear very healthy, no signs of illness - same as her cagemates.

Roxy is quiet happy to come out and play, whereas Doris is very nervous and timid but I'm currently working on her, at her pace.
I'm going to put the cages next to each other today now. Roxy has had a good smell of Mavis while she was held a few inches away from the cage and got very excited (as did Mavis)...Can I take this as a good sign?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

emster, i see you're in the uk... do you have sda and sendai there? if not, i wouldnt bother with quarantine at all, especially if mavis is healthy and has clear breathing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

To be honest, I've never heard of either...So I presume not...? But saying that, it doesn't mean that it isn't a possibility :?
I've looked at a link to a website and noticed that many cases are in the USA.

She does come across as a very healthy little girl, apart from occasional sneezing which is probably due to her being in a new environment and it is calming down from when I got her Saturday.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

We do have cases of SDA and Sendai in the uk - however they are not as aggressive as the USA strains. Most uk petshops are free from SDA - although cases of it is not unknown. Only last September there was an outbreak in Pets at Home.

Quarantine is important for thing such as mites etc - but generally if the pets come from a reputable source, you can semi-guarantee that they're safe enough for an in-house QT

Just thought I'd add that - as I had to do the research when I bought my last 3

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

When I brought Mavis, I gave the other 2 of her cagemates a good looking over while the assistant went off to get some keys. They all looked very healthy.
Mavis has no signs of any illnesses. No obsessive scratching or sneezing. She's very bright and has already learnt that I don't tolerate nibbling. She's very active - I've forgotten what it's like to have a young rat again. Lol.

Her cage is now next to the main cage anyway, and her and Roxy had a quick meeting on the bed earlier. There was alot of butt sniffing and attempting to groom from Roxy.
Altho somehow they got into a corner, there was some squeaking and Mavis was pushing Roxy with her back feet, I stopped them. They then came out and Roxy was kind of trying to climb on Mavis and her fur was slightly ruffed up, again Mavis was pushing her away with her back feet. I thought that they'd had enough so put them back in their cages and may try them again in a day or two.

·
Registered
418 Posts

That's how my intros sort of went at first! (and I'm happy to say that everyone is living together nicely). Though my girl(original) was actually rather mean to the boys(new). Hopefully things will continue to go well. Bathing everyone together seemed to help a lot too.

Oh, and I apologize if my saying you ignored quarantine sounded rude. All I meant by that was since they're already in the same room you might as well start intros so that everyone can live together sooner!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

lostbutnotforgot said:
That's how my intros sort of went at first! (and I'm happy to say that everyone is living together nicely). Though my girl(original) was actually rather mean to the boys(new). Hopefully things will continue to go well. Bathing everyone together seemed to help a lot too.

Oh, and I apologize if my saying you ignored quarantine sounded rude. All I meant by that was since they're already in the same room you might as well start intros so that everyone can live together sooner!
Don't worry about it :) You can never really tell how people mean things on the internet...and I actually wouldn't blame you if you meant it partly in a mean way, I know they should've been properly quarantined.

I thought it went quite well - considering that they could've ripped each other apart :p . I'm going to try putting Roxy and Mavis together again tonight (I'm planning on introducing them all separately, then once they're friends with each other, introducing them all together. Just so no-one gets bullied).
If they're still offish with each other than I'll try the bath technique.
It seems to be the other way round, Mavis seems to be being mean to Roxy...Altho that may be because Roxy was trying to groom.

·
Registered
879 Posts

Hey speaking of Quarantine. I had a thought. (Not saying I would do this) But what if your room has an air purifier in it? Do you think it would help if you can't do quarantine in a separate house or room? It was a thought that crossed my mind one day. I have an air purifier in my room because my boyfriend and I started getting sick from all the dust that had collected and was flying around in there during the moving in process. All I have is Lilly right now but say I was to get another rat. Would I still need to do separate rooms?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yes!!
I think we have two new friends :D
Roxy and Mavis had abit of a scrap (Roxy looked like a big snowball with her fur all fluffed up :lol: ). Mavis ranaway and was sitting in a crack between my pillows, Roxy went over and started to snuggle her, putting her head under Mavis' and stuff. I don't think Mavis knew what to do so looked nervous for awhile then finally relaxed.
Mavis is also starting to get her nerve up, to go up to Roxy...very slowly though. There's also still some squeaking when someone goes to anothers bum. But we're getting there!

I'm planning on introducing Doris to her tomorrow and to continue so for a few days. If everything goes smoothly, then I shall put them all together on the bed and see how it goes.

I'm so pleased and happy so far.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I've brought this topic back up just to say how the girls are getting on...

Doris has met Mavis and really doesn't seem bothered by her. I think she had Mavis on her back once in the whole time that they were out together and that was only for a matter of seconds, so I think they are okay together.

Roxy and Mavis do get on there seems to be alot of chasing around, bum sniffing, humping and wanting to be humped ( :lol: ). Also after so long of all of this either Mavis or Roxy start to push the other away with their back foot. They haven't fought at all, they did have a fluffed up moment once (Which I've described in the post above).
Could the foot pushing be because Roxy and Mavis are young(ish)? Roxy is 10 months old at the end of this month.
I would like to hopefully put Mavis in the main cage either this weekend or the start of next week...would this be a good idea based on the stuff I've said above?
I would also like to try the food trick - putting something that's tasty on the ratties backs, so the others lick it off - but I don't want anything nasty, smelly or anything that could stain the girls fur...Any ideas on what I could use?

I really appreciate any input :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts