Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our boy Jesse is allergic to my girlfriend's cat. He goes into violent sneezing fits if directly exposed to the cat's fur, and even when the cat isn't in the same room he'll have small sneezing fits and often visibly feels very uncomfortable. The vet confirmed that he has allergies and has been giving him shots to keep them down. Each shot seems to work very well for about 4 weeks, with Jesse seeming fully healthy and free of sneezing and discomfort. After that he starts to regress and another shot is necessary.

The vet is charging us $35-55 per shot (I'm not sure why there is so much fluctuation in the price) which is getting a bit painful to do monthly. I asked him about other forms of long-term management but he sort of waved it off saying we'd have to give him daily medication and it wouldn't be very practical. He's a good vet and knows general rat healthcare, but is not an expert (he didn't know they can eat sunflower seeds and has never done a spay/neuter on a rat) and I can't help wonder if he prefers the shots for a better profit.

Are there any other options besides monthly shots for managing a rat with bad allergies? Thanks so much for any advice.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts