Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, I'm Vinny. I have read this forum many times during my 12 years of rat experience. I enjoy teaching people about rats, especially young children. Recently, my beloved boy Oliver passed away, soon followed by my beautiful princess mouse Sidney. I am missing having a rat companion, but unfortunately, I'm in debt and can't pay for one. I have 2 cages, half a bag of food, and a strong connection with rats. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and friendly little ratties help tremendously. I am going to get a job soon, and if I get the funding, I will be able to buy a bag of food that will last until I get a job. I have raised healthy, happy rats, ages averaging from 2-4 years, as well as 12 years of rat experience. I am very lonely without a rat, and these fluffy friends are a huge part of who I am. I have a gofundme page where I'm accepting donations, and I've written about my campaign more in detail. I am hoping to become a part of this forum after this, and contribute to the well of knowledge on rat care and behavior.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I'm sorry but what? Rats are one of the cheapest pets to actually buy. If you do not have the little bit of money to buy the rat, how do u have money to afford food, toys, bedding, and most importantly a vet?

I suffer from depression & severe anxiety myself and my pets are my life. I would be lost without them. But I also know that they are a living creature that relies on me to care for it.

This is not something you should ask others to pay for. I would highly suggest you wait until u can afford a pet and all that goes with one.

As for your depression and anxiety, I would talk with your doctor/therapist in the meantime and perhaps volunteer at a local shelter to spend time with animals. I know volunteering is hard with anxiety but it is easier imo when dealing with animals and very rewarding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi!

Sorry to hear about your anxiety and depression, I know the feeling. Hope you will be able to get money and ratties in the future. But I honestly think people shouldn't get ratties (or any pets) if they don't have the money to even buy them, what if your new rat gets sick and you neet to take one or more to the vet? I believe you would take good care of your little rats but when you own a pet, you should always have some extra money for emergency situations and for food stock. Rats can get ill very quickly no matter how great rat owner you are, you'll never know what happens so better be well prepared.

You have good intentions but I honestly think you shouldn't ask people to give money (and I think it is a bit rude to do that in your first post) and you should wait till you get that job or other continual money source. But yeah I know how horrible anxiety and depression is, I just wish you could wait a bit. Stressing about money isn't fun, even less fun when you have pets you need to feed and take care of.

I wish you all the best! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.