Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I has two rats, and sadly one passed away! We want to get the other rat, Bruno, some baby brothers so he wont be as lonely! I read you need to quarantine the babies first, so I am looking for a cage to do so. When the babies are done and are use to bruno, we can to move Bruno in the cage, so it needs to be fairly big (since there will be 3 rats)
Does anyone have any suggestion of brands or advice for me!

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
244 Posts
Are you looking for a temporary cage or a permanent cage?

For a temporary cage, I'd recommend this ware cage- it's very small for a permanent home though, but it is quite inexpensive so it could work as a temporary quarantine cage.
For a permanent cage, I recommend the critter nation or the martins R680, the "lodge"- you can find it by scrolling down here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you looking for a temporary cage or a permanent cage?

For a temporary cage, I'd recommend this ware cage- it's very small for a permanent home though, but it is quite inexpensive so it could work as a temporary quarantine cage.
For a permanent cage, I recommend the critter nation or the martins R680, the "lodge"- you can find it by scrolling down here
Thanks so much! This helped a lot

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
399 Posts
If it is a temporary cage a bin cage might be a cheap alternative or a second-hand hamster cage as long as it has ventilation on all sides.

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
244 Posts
If it is a temporary cage a bin cage might be a cheap alternative or a second-hand hamster cage as long as it has ventilation on all sides.
Yes, a bin cage is an option- however @beckyyyyyy, keep in mind (normal) bin cages can be chewed through quite easily- so while being very cheap they might not work that well :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Small cages like the 25" Ware Chew Proof Small Animal Cage and the Kaytee My First Rat cage would do the trick. You may be able to find similarly sized used cages. If it's just temporary, your rats will be fine in a smaller 2 to 5 cubic foot cage.

I think a bin cage is great. There are ways to make a totally chew-proof bin cage. First, you want to select a bin that is very square on the inside without ridges or edges that your rats can get their teeth around. Then, if you attach the hardware cloth to the inside of the windows, your rats won't be able to get their teeth around the openings to enlarge them.

Making a [bin cage] is really cost effective but it's a little bit of work and may require a couple basic tools. Another nice thing about a bin cage is it can be used as storage when it's not being used as a cage.

A temporary cage doesn't need to be huge but also think about other possible uses. Besides during quarantine/introductions, a secondary cage will come in handy if you need to travel with your rats, as a hospital cage, or just as a safe place to put your rats when cleaning their main cage. When figuring out what you want to do, think about these other uses and make sure they will be met, as well.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
399 Posts
If you put the hardware cloth all the way around the inside of the cage (not just on the windows). Like, make the normal bin cage cuts on the bin (top and all sides) but instead of making different cuts of hardware cloth you just have one that covers the windows and the plastic on the inside of the cage so they can't get out of it even if the find a way to chew the plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts