Rat Forum banner

Looking for an easy to clean yet spacious cage.

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  rattikins 
#1 ·
Hi there everyone, this is my first post. I know how forums usually go, so please be kind if I break any sort of rule and I'll listen. Now then, to the topic at hand:

I used to have hamsters some 6 years ago and can very clearly remember the difficulties I had with the multi-tiered wire cages. It was difficult to get a hold of the hamster when she wasn't anywhere readily accessible, so much that I had to disassemble the cage to get to her. I also remember that it was hard to position things in the upper tiers and that the cage was very irritating to clean.

After 6 years of no small animals (just a very, very mellow cat), I broke down and bought two adorable little female rats, overcoming the despair at all the health troubles my second hamster had. I just bought them and got them settled in today, and they seem to be adjusting just fine. I've noticed from my extensive searches online that rats differ from hamsters in many respects, specifically that they really need the extra space to roam around in and are better off in complex environments that stimulate their minds. I have a single-tiered and reasonably spacious cage with multiple hide-aways and climbable surfaces, but I'd like to offer slightly more room and particularly some more complexity. Most of the supposedly "best" cages out there that come recommended are the multi-tiered ones that I've learned to hate. Is there any particularly good alternative?

One more note: although I like the expandability and roaming fun of the plastic cages, I detest their look and much prefer wire cages.

Thanks to those who respond!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Since I wasn't aware of the size requirement, both are in a cage that is adequate for just one. I really, really like the cage you recommended, but only one place on the entire internet that I've been able to find carries it, and they're out of stock for an indefinite period of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.