Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sweetanna.png
Don't know if this is right place to post this in but I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to this. My sweet little Andromeda had been quite upset after her sister Abigail died. Anna had always been very healthy but had a bit of a myco flare up after this incident and was put on baytril/doxy. She started getting better quickly so I just continued the meds and thought she'd be fine. I also adopted three younger rats to keep her company. They all got along quite well for the most part, but one day Quinzel attacked Anna and hurt her bad enough that she needed stitches. Again, she recovered quite well from this ordeal and was able to go back with the others (minus Quin). At Anna's last recheck, the vet seemed thrilled with how well she looked except that she had lost quite a bit of weight. She still had a good appetite however so she assumed it was just stress related from being injured and quarantined while she healed. Two days later I noticed her acting a bit off. She seemed a tad lethargic and wasn't very interested in interacting with her friends. She was still eating, drinking, was hydrated and alert so I thought I would just monitor her and book another vet appointment. The very next day (today) I awoke to find her laying on her side completely limp. She was breathing, blinking and bruxing but her back legs were stiff and she made no effort to move. I held her for a few minutes talking to her and trying to get her to respond to me. She stopped breathing and I gave her CPR. Once she was breathing again I rushed her to the vet and her heart was getting quite weak. This wasn't my usual vet but it was the closest one. The vet touched the corners of her eyes and she blinked, but her pupils were completely unresponsive to light. He said she likely has a stroke or some other cardiac related problem. He also said that the fact that her pupils weren't responding meant she no longer had any higher brain function. He said he could give her some heparin and put her on oxygen but that he didn't think he could save her. He basically forced me to euthanize her and I just feel awful. She had just turned two and I had such high hopes she would live for another year.

Does anyone have any clue what could've happened to my baby? I just feel like I gave up on her and don't know what to think or feel right now...Thank you all who take the time to read this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts