Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a long time lurker. I wish I had joined under better circumstances.

One of my two adopted rats (females), Freyja, has developed what I originally thought was an abscess. I first noticed a small lump and red spot on her fur about a week ago. After doing some reading, I decided it was probably an abscess and started applying warm compresses daily. However, as far as I can tell, it has yet to drain, though it has grown rapidly. Out of desperation last night, I tried to lance it, but aside from a little bit of initial blood, nothing came out. I was hoping you all might have some ideas regarding it.

I'm aware that ideally I should take her to the vet, but that's not something I can afford right now. Here are two pictures of it from last night. Unfortunately, when I first noticed it, it didn't seem significant enough to photograph, so I don't have an image from a week ago.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Zac

I should add that she's always been the fatter of the two. When they saw the vet back in december, she weighed almost twice as much as her sister.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ok I think you will be better off posting this in the rat health section as soon as you can for better advice. I would say this is a serious issue.. Could you maybe try a online crowd funding to get the money together for a vet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts