Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Tiffany and Nick here with our 5 little rats ... 4 little and 1 FAT rats!

Anyway, Right now I have the small females covered but the males live in what was once a bird cage. I have redone it so it's a nice little 3 story house with two ramps, and what ever random contraptions that end up inside and believe me there have been plenty but all always get destroyed. Such as the resent 10 dollar plants that made up the ground floor, and then dug up, chewed up, riped to streads, tipped upside down, and of course eaten.

Those plants were supposed to GROW over night but half of them didn't even make it to morning. But what ever that's not the point.

A little off track there, but what I am after now is an expansion to my current cage because luckly my cage has several doors on the ground floor and if I leave one open a nice little tunnel could be connected to an even bigger mansion. Well with that said.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, I ALWAYS SPEND WAY TO MUCH MONEY ON THESE GUYS because there is no long term value to any of it, so that is exactly what I am attempting in this project.

I am looking for something cheap that I can build an ENTIRE cage out of it.

Basically...
What can I use as a structure that is cheap..
-Best I've seen is PVC pipe.
What am I looking for to use for the walls.
-I am not sure the name of the wire I would be looking for (help?)
Can Zip Ties really be used to hold together a rat cage?
-I saw someone building a cage and used zip ties but I visualize my rats chomping away at those in no time since anything touching the cage MUST BE INSIDE, so says the RAT GOD!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You're probably thinking of hardware cloth, but it doesn't have much strength on it's own, so the frame would have to be strong.

Zip ties do work... if your boys will leave them alone. Else you could try wire (plastic coated would be best...)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used wood from Home Depot. i got crappy leftover wood that had been glued together to make a full length for 98c each (8 ft lengths) the quality and overall look of the wood isnt exactly your best cut in the world, but i was able to build my wooden frame for my entire cage for under $10 (this includes the $6 plank of wood i used for the bottom, its coated with a sort of plastic which i thought would be better and not soak up urine as much. basically wooden shelf material.

so a few dollars for the frame, and about $30 for a 10ft roll of hardware mesh (also from home depot). my entire cage cost less than $50 canadian, took a weekend to put together, and can hold about 5 rats, maybe 6 depending on how i furnish it.

for that price, i dont mind if it looks a litle shoddy, i can always paint it later on if i want, or just spend another 50 and make another one, now that ive gained the experience and know what to do.

oh, and i guess add a few exta dollars on for screws, and any fasteners and whatnot too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to home depo yesterday and with a few ideas I got there and a few from here on the forum. I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to go after.

It's base will probably be 3 feet all the way around. The height will probably be 5 feet. I'll use 1 inch PVC pipe for the 5 foot support beams, two 1 inch PVC pipe for the ground and 2 1/2inch pipes on the ground as well. the same goes for the top as it does the ground.

I plan to design a pull out tray at the bottom so that mess ups are easy.

The walls will be made up of 1/2" Hardware cloth which is sturdy enough to support their weight, their movement and the cage itself.

However, I have no idea what to do for doors for access to the cage. So ideas on that would be great. And I have no idea what to make for the tray on the bottom. I plan to start in the second week of October so any help before then would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
107 Posts
i just cut out a hole in the hardware cloth, cut a bigger piece out of some extra wire, and stuck it on with twist ties. (the kind you use with garbage bags) easy peasy. undo the twist ties when you want them out, and tie it back on when youre done.

if you wanna attach it more securely, you can use those plastic ties or other wire

·
Registered
47 Posts
Use pvc with a right angle cut out of it,or door trim. For walls, Plexiglass sheeeting works once you cut some air holes (squares with screen covering). Use the trimming/pipe to attach the 4 walls together (Cauking will hold better than zip ties I imagine)then aly in your roof. Get creative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts