Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curiouse as to weather anyone on this site has an odd-eyed rat?? or any special colors or designs of rats??

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, "special colors or designs" is kinda general - pretty much all "fancy rats" other than an agouti or albino are special colors or designs. Also, your Templeton is a special design because he has an unusual marking on his face.

And I remember you talking about wanting to breed him - I don't know if you're still interested, but Templeton's marking is high white, and that makes his offspring at high risk for developing megacolon (the inability to digest food & elimate it).

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
MC is a very painful and often fatal condition that breeders are desperately trying to get out of the lines. Only properly accredited and very responsible breeders should attempt even possible High White breedings.
Most babies with MC are pts or die by 4-5 weeks old. :( Then there's late onset which can show up at 5-7 months old and kill your rat. Megacolon is an awful thing. :( Its the worst thing a rat can get IMO.

http://www.midwestrats.org/articlehighwhitecont.html

http://ratguide.com/health/digestive/megacolon.php

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have a hairless rat, that's kind of different. And Odin has odd eyes, he's missing one >_> But I don't think that counts D: He does fine without it though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
this brings me to a question. after bathing my rats several times the upper part of dre's tail has stayed the same color. i thought it was dirty, but it hasn't cleaned up like the other ones' tails. she has a black spot around the base of her tail about the size of a nickel and the color extends down half of her tail, has anyone seen anything like this? she's a hooded rat by the way, with spots of color all over her back.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hoodeds tend to have spotted tails in my experiance. Joshu had several black spots on his. If it's not orange and it's not comming off it's probably just pigment. I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep, all of the hooded rats w/ spots on their backs have spots on their tails, too. And they're always in the most random places!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm if rats with umm lots of white can pass on mc or whatever than how do people breed hoods or albinos?? no affence but im starting to think your making these things up... now yea mc might be real but with the whole color variations im not shure i can believe that.

Umm now with the hooded rats with spots on there back.. thats not considered a hooded its considered a Variegated ((or a rat with a hood and SPOTS going down the back, not a line)) TempleTon and Alyssa are both Variegated.

((((( Variegated-H/h and modifiers
Rat is colored over head and shoulders but has spotting on its back and sides with a white belly
Related to dalmatian
Pictured rat also has a large headspot

RSA"The head and shoulders to be of any distinct color with white marking on forehead. Marking on forehead required, can vary from spot to blaze. Blaze to conform to blaze standards and will be shown in blazed classes. The variegation to cover the body from the shoulders to the tail including the sides. The tail shall have spots of color as well. The color to conform to any recognized color. Belly color to be white, devoid of creamy tinge or staining. The color shall conform to a recognized color."

AFRMA"The head and shoulders to be of any recognized color with a white blaze on the forehead. The variegation to cover the body from the shoulders to the tail including the sides and tail. Belly fur to be white, devoid of creamy tinge or staining."

RatsPacNW"Will have a colored head and shoulders, numerous small color spots on shoulders, sides and tail. Has a white belly and head spot."

NFRS"The head and shoulders to be of a distinct colour with a white spot or blaze on the forehead. Where a spot is present this should be centrally placed on the forehead, round or oval in shape and no bigger than the rat's eye. Blazes are a wedge shaped symmetrical blaze of white starting at the nose and extending up the face to the forehead. The blaze to cover the whisker bed and taper to a fine point midway between the eyes and the ears. Markings not to extend onto the cheeks or the eyes. The rest of the upper portion (back, sides and tail) of the rat's body to be white, evenly marked with patches and flecks of distinct colour, the colour to conform to a recognised colour variety. Underside (including belly, chest and throat) to be white, devoid of creamy tinge or staining." )))))))

I study rat colors and patterns so i know what it is when i se one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Alyssa_Rat said:
Umm if rats with umm lots of white can pass on mc or whatever than how do people breed hoods or albinos?? no affence but im starting to think your making these things up... now yea mc might be real but with the whole color variations im not shure i can believe that.
If you don't believe me or lilspaz, read those webpages she cited: Megacolon is definitely genetic, except in rare cases where there is a later onset.

"Genetic megacolon occurs as a result of faulty neural crest cell development in the embryo stage. The defects in the neural crest-derived melanocytes, which cause white spotting, and the defects in the peripheral neurons, which result in the lack of ganglia in the digestive tract, occur on the same migration path.
Thus, you will often see genetic megacolon in BEW (black-eyed white), husky, blazed, split-capped, tei-colored, odd-eyed, and other “high white” lines of rats. The same relationship occurs in a certain type of Waardenburg syndrome in humans where there is either odd-eyes or a white patch of hair or pigment accompanying the digestive involvement. Lethal white foal syndrome in horses occurs in the overo types (white or mostly white) and causes death from megacolon within a few hours or days of birth." http://ratguide.com/health/digestive/megacolon.php

Also, check out the photos here - there are rats with markings on their faces very similar to Templeton's.

A rat can be variegated and high-white, because the high-white gene is a modifier. That's why there can be albinos and hooded rats that don't carry a risk of megacolon, if they don't carry the high-white modifier.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I wish they were making megacolon up :(. It's a nasty disease that kills 100% of affected rats in a very painful way.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well then how do breeders breed there hooded rats?? and that would mean about 80% of the rat population being born is dying of mc... and i dont se how thats possible. You know if mc is as bad as your say it is than breeders wouldnt be breeding there rats and you wouldnt be seing all the dominate white colored rats we se today. Now personaly im not ganna panick about this because no effence i think you guys freak out to much when it comes to the little, rare, and not so important things with the rats. Im sorry but you guys put more pressure on me than school does, calm down and live a little.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How are we putting preassure on you? You're not still thinking of breeding are you?

I don't think you read the links. You don't breed the dominant high whites. From what I gather you breed it recessively by knowing the line of genetics. Two carriers of the high white genes will create a high white.

It's the dominant high whites I gather that create the megacolin condition. So yeah, no breeder would breed your Templeton.

Besides, not all hoods are high whites: 'High-white means white markings in places you do not normally see them' So a normal hood, with a colored head and a stripe or spots along it's spine is fine. But if that hood carried a spot somewhere unusual it would be a high white.

http://www.midwestrats.org/articlehighwhitecont.html

Read this link before you comment again please. And Unfortunately if you had read the links you would KNOW it wasn't rare. We do WISH it was ^^;;

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep, I don't think you read either the links or our posts.

"A rat can be variegated and high-white, because the high-white gene is a modifier. That's why there can be albinos and hooded rats that don't carry a risk of megacolon, if they don't carry the high-white modifier."

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
True, it is. I have trouble understanding it even. But yeah, I'm not going to breed or be a breeder and won't really even consider it until I get my own house and have read up. I don't know if I could handle loosing any litters/females D:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yeah that post about Jade really got to me.
I think I would need to put my work head on and think of breeding clinically but then I wouldent love them as much or have as much fun with them.I think maybe I'd like to assist at a breeding centre though. There are a few round me and I bet they would love a hand! Wonder if they would pay?
OMG how many would I end up bringing home?! Id spend my whole months wages on insurance :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yeah no joke lol. Wish I had a exotic vet that charged less so I could adopt a couple more loveable guys <3 I pay out the ears on vet bills as it is D:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thats is such a clever thought! Be a vet=slash your fees! Why didnt I do vetinary nursing?! I could part time I suppose...
Sorry Alyssa Im side tracking!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.